Between The Ropes
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Central Florida's Sports Radio 740 The Team

On Wednesday night, February 21, Wrestling Society X champion Vampiro joined hosts Brian Fritz, Dickerman, and Vito DeNucci live on Between The Ropes on Central Florida's Sports Radio 740 The Team to discuss Wrestling Society X, his career, the documentary he if filming, and much more.

To kick things off Vampiro let it be known that he was doing the interview in a t-shirt and shorts while standing outside in Detroit.

Vampiro was first asked about the controversial episode of WSX involving a fireball and whether he knew if it would be edited before airing. "I'm not sure if they're going to edit anything. I try not to pay attention to the politics and stuff that goes on. I've watched it on youtube a few times and the reaction I'm getting is that it was a pretty cool shot. It's sports entertainment and it's a little bit aggressive, but if you turn on the 6:00 news you've got to explain to your kids why their brothers and sisters are being blown to bits in Iraq and other stupidity that going on."

That was followed with Vampiro being asked about how WSX came into being and his opinion on how things had gone for WSX so far. Vampiro said that "it was a dream of mine and Kevin Klinerock. Basically Kevin came to me, back as far as 1988, with the dream of mixing punk rock or alternative music with wrestling since they seemed to appeal to the same audience." Vampiro said that he felt good that the show was giving some young wrestlers an opportunity that they wouldn't otherwise have and that "if everyone would stop being so negative and criticizing every single thing that somebody tries to do for them they might actually enjoy it."

Regarding the new and unique direction taken by WSX Vampiro said that since the fans are more informed in this era they "have the right to have something new." He also mentioned that since WSX was the first to try this approach he expected the criticism it has received but overall he is please with how WSX has gone and the reaction it has gotten.

Vampiro then responded to the being asked about both the long term and short term goals of WSX by saying "my short term goal, of course, is to see the success of the program. My long term goal is to be able to pass the torch along to somebody else and be a part of the creative process. That's what being an artist is all about. There's no ego here, we're all equal and I have a lot to give. It's a pleasure to be able to work with such talented kids with such big hearts, it's a memorable experience."

Talk then turned toward the development of Vampiro's career and the Vampiro character. Vampiro said that he "started in 1984 selling programs and setting up the ring for international wrestling which was based out of Montreal, ran by Gino Brito, Rick Martel, and the Rougeau brothers. My career has been on hell of a long story, I just finished a documentary on my life story, I've got good people in it. It's almost unbelievable some of the things that have happened." He then went on to say that "the fans built Vampiro and I belong to the fans. I'll never forget that because without them I'm nothing."

Vampiro was then asked to elaborate on the documentary that he is filming about his career. "We saw a Sex Pistols documentary called "The Filth and the Fury," it was filmed in black and white and the band was sitting in shadows. You never saw the band play, but you heard the legends, not from the band, but from the people around it. We kind of used that philosophy. I'm there doing my thing, but all the stories you hear are from people who have been involved in my career over the last 25 years. It's amazing and an honor for someone to come from a small town, like I did, to have a documentary that's going to be in the cinemas. But once again, I'm not Vampiro, Vampiro is a million people wearing one pair of shoes. My fans and my friends have built it up and I'm honored that people care about me that much, it's an amazing feeling."

Vampiro also mentioned that he had just received funding for 2 more movies to be made this year and is in negotiations with the Sci-Fi Network and Cartoon Network. On the music front his band is mastering their new album and getting ready for a tour with the Insane Clown Posse.

Simulcast online at BetweenTheRopes.com