PDA

View Full Version : *spoilers* Wwe: Saturday Night’s Main Event Report

Black Widow
06-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Welcome to our real time coverage of this evening’s Saturday Night’s Main Event special that gets underway shortly here in the UK ahead of it airing in the U.S later tonight.

Be sure to refresh this page regularly over the next couple of hours for the latest from tonight’s show.

Don’t forget that we’ll also have live One Night Stand coverage tomorrow night here at WrestleMag.com from 8pm Eastern/1am UK time!

A huge pyro display kicks off the show before Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler welcome us to Toronto before John Cena’s music hits, and the champ comes out to a largely negative response.

John Cena vs The Great Khali
Ashley Massaro is serving as ring announcer for this match. She makes Todd Grisham seem competent. Cole and Lawler did voiceovers for a “Largest, Smallest, Strongest, Strangest” video as Cena made his entrance, which plugged appearances by Khali, Hornswoggle, Lashley and Vince, and Kane respectively. Khali then got a video package to continue putting him over as a monster before we cut back to the arena for his entrance.

Cena attacked Khali as he climbed into the ring. He went for an early FU but Khali hit a forearm to the back and followed it up with some “clubbing” blows. Khali’s moves look so damn weak a lot of the time, but Cena sold for him really well. Khali gave Cena an Irish Whip into the turnbuckle as Cole asked Lawler how big Khali was. Geez. Cena avoided a legdrop attempt and went for the STFU but Khali shook him off with ease, sending Cena to the outside. Khali briefly went to the outside but they quickly got back into the ring where Cena tried to stage a comeback, only for Khali to clothesline him, which got a pop (this crowd really doesn’t like Cena).

Cole said that Khali’s shoe was the size of a 2x4 as Khali continued his slow (I’d like to say methodical but I don’t think that’s the right word to use with Khali) paced attack. Out of nowhere, Cena lifted Khali up for an FU but Khali blocked it with a right hand then hit Cena with his tree slam finisher. He placed one foot on Cena’s chest as the referee counted 1…2…3. Wow.

Winner: The Great Khali

Post-match, Khali cut a promo. It translated as Khali telling Cena he’d win the title tomorrow at One Night Stand.

This wasn’t particularly good at all. It’s great that Cena is selling well for the guy, but he’s just so useless. When you had bigger guys in there like Big Show, at least they could move, and were capable of a good match. I enjoyed Cena-Khali at Judgment Day, but after seeing this, I really can’t see how WWE are expecting this match to be the final sell to get people to shell out $40 tomorrow night.

A Cena-Khali video package for One Night Stand aired.

Mr. McMahon vs Bobby Lashley - Arm Wrestling match
Kristal was ring announcing here. That’s a good thing. Vince was introduced as “The Doctor of Hardcore” before we cut to a Vince-Lashley video package mid introductions. The video package showed everything from Vince being shaven bald at WrestleMania right through to today. Lashley made his entrance to a moderate pop before we cut to another Lashley-Vince promo (I’m assuming this will be a commercial break in the States).

Finally we look like we’re going to see some action in the ring, even if it is arm wrestling. Big ‘You Screwed Bret’ chants start up aimed at Vince. Vince stalls a few times before getting a microphone. He buys some more time, which leads to Mark Henry’s music starting up. Vince tells Lashley he’ll have to wait until tomorrow night and introduces “The King of the Jungle". Crowd are less than impressed about this. Henry and Lashley have the arm wrestling contest instead. As soon as Lashley looks like winning, Henry cheap shots him, and lays into him. Lashley stages a comeback and hits Henry with a spear before Vince lays him out from behind with a weak looking chair shot.

Vince leaves holding the chair as Lashley gets to his feet in the ring. At this point, I’m so glad that here in the UK, One Night Stand is airing on Sky Sports rather than as a PPV event. I get the feeling it’ll be a long night tomorrow, even if some of the card looks ok on paper.

Backstage, Maria interviews Edge. He says he’s beaten The Undertaker and Batista. He may not be the strongest or the biggest, but he’s the greatest. Toronto love Edge.

Another ONS video airs.

Batista & Chris Benoit vs Edge & MVP
A surprisingly big pop for Batista entrance as Torrie Wilson serves as ring announcer for this match. Big pop for Benoit, decent heat for MVP, then a massive ovation for Edge, whose return to Toronto gets him a pyro display. I’ll let that slide as a one off, but one of the things that has always grated me about TNA is giving pyro to heels. People naturally pop for pyro, and that shouldn’t happen when you’ve a bad guy out there. Anyway…oh…commercials again.

We return with the match underway with Benoit and MVP trading blows in the ring. MVP gets the upper hand and tags out to Edge, who gets a big pop for doing pretty much nothing. Benoit chops the heck out of Edge then hits a snap suplex, getting a two count as a result. Batista is tagged in, and Edge runs off and tags MVP in. Batista takes control and dominates MVP in the corner. He follows it up with a suplex which gets a two count. MVP briefly gets back into the match but Batista hits a knee to the midsection and a boot to the face. Benoit is tagged back in and he continues to take it to MVP. He hits a series of German Suplexes, then heads to the top rope for the headbutt. Edge charges at him on the apron but Benoit decks him with a right hand. He goes for the headbutt but MVP moves out the way and gets a near fall of his own.

Edge is tagged back in. He drops Benoit stomach first over his knee before tagging back out to MVP, who hits a suplex and gets another near fall. Edge and MVP continue to make quick tags and work over Benoit. Benoit makes his comeback, hitting Edge with headbutt and then a kick to the head. Edge manages to tag back out to MVP, who prevents Benoit from making the tag, but only momentarily as Benoit fights back and makes the tag to Batista.

Batista hits a powerslam on MVP and goes for the cover. Edge tries to break it up but Batista sees him coming. Edge bails and runs up the ramp with his title. In the ring, Batista gives MVP a spinebuster before Benoit hits the headbutt and makes the cover.

Winners: Batista & Chris Benoit.

Finlay & Hornswoggle vs The Boogeyman & Little Boogeyman
Candice takes her turn as ring announcer for this one. Hornswoggle runs under the ring as he and Finlay make their entrance. Team Boogey got a decent pop, which I can only assume means that the fake pop Scotty 2 Hotty always got has been reassigned. FInlay and Boogeyman started things out with Boogeyman in control early. Little Boogey got tagged in, with Cole informing us that he’s a minature version of The Boogeyman. No way! Finlay slapped Little Boogey across the face. He bit Finlay’s fingers, and hit a short plant DDT (!). Hornswoggle appeared from under the ring and rolled up his sleeves. He gave Little Boogey his hat, which confused him, which led to Finlay drop kicking him in the face. Finlay and Hornswoggle then danced an Irish jig. Funny stuff.

Boogeyman chased Hornswoggle up the ramp to the back, while in the ring Finlay laid out Little Boogey with a boot to the mush to get the win.

Winners: Finlay & Hornswoggle.

Extreme Expose are up next, but not before a Divas video package. The Extreme Divas did their thing, with the camera thankfully cutting backstage to see Hornswoggle and Little Boogey running around backstage. Boogeyman dumped worms on Hornswoggle before Finlay laid him out. Hornswoggle and Little Boogey ran back out to the ring, interrupting the women before running back up the ramp.

As noted on the site a little earlier, the June 11 draft lottery edition of RAW will air live in the UK from 1-4am on Sky Sports.

Kane, Eugene & Doink The Clown vs Umaga, Kevin Thorn & Viscera
Geez. The Toronto crowd haven’t got a clue what to make of any of this. Eugene is wearing a superman type outfit with an E on it, and Doink the Clown is there as well. What makes it funny is that Kevin Thorn is meant to be a serious character, and he comes off just as goofy looking as both of them. His proposed makeover can’t come soon enough. Kane vs Umaga with no build at ONS tomorrow would be tons better than Kane vs Mark Henry with no build as well.

Thorn and Doink get the match started. Doink plays up to the crowd, but they don’t seem to care too much. It’s almost like they thought “it’s Saturday Night’s Main Event, so let’s pretend it’s 1987 again". Finally, Thorn hits Doink with a clothesline, and hammers away at him in the corner. Doink gets back into it and quickly tags in Eugene, who does his JYD dance. Thorn gets back in control, and tags in Umaga, who lays Eugene out with a kick to the head.

Viscera gets tagged and takes it to Eugene, hitting him with his side slam type move as we head to another commercial (which in the UK airs as a video package for Umaga). We return with Thorn tagging out to Umaga, who continues to dominate Eugene. He hits a Samoan Drop for a two count then tags Thorn back in. He works over Eugene some more before he eventually makes the hot tag to Kane, who clears house. He hits Thorn with a clothesline from the top rope but Umaga breaks up the count. Doink and Eugene try to get involved but Umaga heads to the outside with both of them. Thorn tags in Viscera, who charges at Kane in the corner but misses. Kane hits the chokeslam and makes the cover to get the win. Winners: Kane, Doink and Eugene.

A final video package for tomorrow night’s PPV airs before we return to ringside with Cole and Lawler who lead us into a video package recapping tonight’s show.

Overall, a pretty average show at best, and I’d be surprised if this does well in the ratings in the States tonight. If WWE were hoping to get some last minute buys tomorrow night from those who were sat on the fence, I think they’ll be disappointed when the buyrate numbers come in.

sources: wrestlemag.com

legolas4792
06-03-2007, 12:55 AM
idk why wwe even did that it wont get good ratings and its right before a ppv

Will
06-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I wish I would have watched the main event, just to see Eugene actually debut that stupid new outfit.