PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Speech?

bad_meetz_evil
05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
It is my contention that we have never had free speech in this world and if things stay as they are, we never will. We in the working class have very little of a voice in this world. For instance, if we are unhappy about our pay or working conditions, and we voice our opinion, we get fired, laid off, or forced to quit. The only people that have free speech are those who are in power. How often on news programs do you hear ordinary citizens giving commentary? We of the working class have a voice but it is muted by our oppressors.

Agree/disagree & Reasons for your answer. :agree:.

Sunshine Acid
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Agreed. This especially applies to the U.S. who claims they have free speach. Then you have the FCC saying you can't say whatever you want on television or on the radio.

Kaz
05-08-2006, 11:55 AM
It really depends where you live but yea I agree Freedom of Speech is a load of crock... And I found that in America the whole concept is screwed... One group claims freedom of speech and thus blocking out other groups freedom of speech.

It happens here too...

OMEN
05-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Origonally posted by Sugar Magnolia
This especially applies to the U.S. who claims they have free speach. Then you have the FCC saying you can't say whatever you want on television or on the radio.

I do not think that this applies to just the US,It seems the same around the world that you can say what you want as long as you do not insult or offend anybody.It would be interesting to see what would happpen if we ever truly had free speech,........The world would be full of Howard Sterns...

Sunshine Acid
05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Origonally posted by Sugar Magnolia

I do not think that this applies to just the US,It seems the same around the world that you can say what you want as long as you do not insult or offend anybody.It would be interesting to see what would happpen if we ever truly had free speech,........The world would be full of Howard Sterns...

Not necessarily, since Howard Stern is an asshole. Not everyone is a sexaholic perverted moron like him. Also I didn't mean just the U.S. I meant especially. I believe Europe is alot more leniant towards sex on tv or censorship in general. From what I know, I could be wrong.

me hate libs
05-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Freedom of Speech is a great thing, but honestly, there's never been a place of it in it's pure form. ditto in terms of pure capitalism.

And to Bad, as it relates to oppressors like your boss or landlord, you do have freedom of speech, but you don't have the freedom from the consequences from private citizens, only the government.

So you're boss can fire you, but you can't go to jail cause of it. Well, you can, but that''s because people tread of free speech all day long. Ideally you'd be fired, but still have dignity.