PDA

View Full Version : Very Detailed House Show Report From San Juan, Puerto Rico

Butoden
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
TNA Impact Zone Live 06/04/07

Building: Coliseo de Puerto Rico Jose Miguel Agrelot

Attendance: Between 2,300 to 3,300 fans

Paying Attendance: Who knows… someone from the staff production told me around 1,800 to 2,000 fans.

Show started: 6:30pm

Ended: Around 9:50pm

Willie Urbina (the Spanish announcer from Impact) welcomes the fans an introduce Jeremy Borash as the ring announcer for the evening.

1) Chris Sabin defeated Petey Williams and “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels for the TNA X Division Title

Basic Three Way dance match with Sabin and Daniels joining forces against Williams. Sabin beat Williams with a small package. After the match Williams applies the Canadian Destroyer to Daniels for the delight of the fans. A lot of stalling and comedy during the 20 minutes match.

2) “Showtime” Eric Young defeated Robert Rood with Ms. Brooks

A 10 to 15 minutes comedy match with Ms. Brooks getting a lot of heat from the fans at ringside (and she looks hot). Finish saw Young pinned Rood with a small package.

3) In a Monsters Ball Match, Abyss defeated Rhino with the Black Hole Slam

Nice “Welcome back” chant for Abyss. Abyss wrestled in Puerto Rico for almost two years straight with the IWA. So far the most intense match of the night. Rhino and Abyss brawled through the entire arena. Major heat for Rhino as it was clear who the crowd favorite was. At one time Rhino through a trash can to Abyss head and seconds later Rhino took a full tray of popcorn boxes (and cotton candy) and thorough it to Abyss back. It was like a classic street fight for the most of the 15 minutes of action.

4) Apolo and “The King of the Mountain” Jeff Jarrett defeated “Big Poppa Pump” Scott Steiner and Cowboy James Storm with Jackie Moore

Nice round of applause for Jarrett. The fans really appreciated his effort and professionalism. Basic old school tag teams match for 10 to 12 minutes. Apolo gave a good performance, probably knowing that it was a do or die situation for him. Finish saw Apolo giving Storm a TKO after Jarrett hit Storm with a black guitar. I don’t know, but the sound of the guitar smashing Storm’s head wasn’t pretty. And the damn thing never broke. It looked and sounded like a Honky Tonk Man’s vintage guitar. Steiner owned the crowd with the heat that he created.

Intermission (During that time a man in the ringside section propose matrimony to his girlfriend. A bunch of guys in my section started to scream NOOOOOO… but finally the girl say yes). Also Urbina announced that Ricky Banderas will start to wrestle for TNA as soon as he recovers from a shoulder injury.

5) “The Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe defeated “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles with the Muscle Buster.

Easily the best match of the night. Tons of Let’ go AJ, Let’s go Joe chants. These two once again show why they are two of the best wrestlers in the world right now. The match lasted around 12 to 15 minutes. The crowd didn’t want it to end. Joe seems very pleased with the crowd reaction to his performance and the match in general.

6) Team 3D defeated LAX with the 3D to Homicide.

Hector “Moody-Jack” Melendez introduce LAX to the fans (Konnan didn’t show up for obvious reasons). Team 3D played the heel tag team to perfection. If the heat created by Scott Steiner was big, it was nothing compare with the heat that Brother Devon and Brother Ray delivered. Ray was insulting the fans in Spanish during the whole match. Near the end of the match two or three fans at ring side started to throw what it looks to be small pieces of ice to Team 3D. Brother Ray and Devon seem to enjoy the whole situation. By the way, the match supposed to be a table’s match but there was not a single table at ringside.

7) “The Olympic Hero” Kurt Angle defeated “The Instant Classic” Christian Cage with the Angle Slam after an unsuccessful run in by Styles.

Kind of a disappointment 15 minutes match. Lots of stalling and it seems that both were going through the motions. Some boring chants during the match and the participants finally delivered for the last five minutes of the bout. After the match Angle thanks the fans for coming and Borash promised that they will come back.

Most Over

1-Samoa Joe

2-AJ Styles

3-Abyss

4-LAX.

5-A tie between Williams, Sabin and Daniels.

6-Jeff Jarret

Most Hated

1-Team 3D

2-Scott Steiner

3-Rhino

4-Christian Cage

Final thoughts:

Personally I think the card was a success in term of overall performance. I was in attendance for the New Years Revolution PPV in San Juan and for the two House Shows of the Raw brand. This TNA card as a whole was FAR BETTER in terms of wrestling action that my previews three WWE cards. Even for house show standards. As a fan you notice that in this type of cards the talent hold back a lot but that’s expected. Production values were ok with the entrance ramp, the lights and the explosions. The sound for the music entrance could have been better. I suppose that for the local producers the card was a flop in terms of attendance but it was their responsibility to wisely book a smaller venue for TNA. TNA don’t have local TV in Puerto Rico and the venue was too big for the relative young promotion. In Puerto Rico you could find smaller and less expensive venues in San Juan, Bayamon or Carolina for a TNA card.

On October 19, 1985 Vince booked his first WWF card in Puerto Rico. With Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd at the main event in Hiram Bithorn Stadium, they only manage to attract around 3,000 to 4,000 fans in a stadium with a capacity for 25,000 fans. Vince waited twenty years to present his second card in the island. Now every WWE card is a sell out in the island. I hope that TNA and local producers learn from this experience and manage to come back to the island in the near future. The fans really appreciated the product that TNA offered tonight and it will be a shame if we have to wait too long for another TNA wrestling card.

Well there you go another Petey Williams Canadian Destroyer not-on-tv lol.

Flair Country
06-05-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm really suprised that LAX didn't beat Team 3D, titles or no. Good to hear Apolo get the victory after all the personal trouble he's been having though.