PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the return of ECW as a weekly show?

LionDen
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
What are your thoughts on the return of ECW, even though it will be run by WWE?

I think it is great, if it is like the old school ECW, it will even be moree awesome. To see some classic wrestlers back in their environment will be terriffic for me to see again and also for the younger generation who never got a chance to see them.

If it going to be Sports Entertainment like WWE, i won't be so happy, although i would not mind seeing some invasions here and there, as long as the old school style remains.

Once more we will be hearing ... Ohhh! Myyyyy! Gawddddddddd!

OMEN
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
It will be great to see ECW back in the world of wrestling i just hope that the the wwe do not try to interfere with the organization and let Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer run things and bring back the old spirit of the company which made it such a legend of the wrestling world, With guys and girls willing to put everything they had on the line everynight to entertain the fans.
I do hope that they also bring back the ECW heavyweight title and have it as a real championship and not just something that a wwe star can walk in and win and devalue the way the wwe did with the WCW title.

dezorr
05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I think the only reason ecw is coming back so vince can grab the underground wrestling fans that have took hold to tna for the dislike of main stream wrestling as well as please people like Paul Heyman and other wrestlers who dont do as well in wwe. my question is how many former ecw stars that are doing well in wwe (RVD) are going over to ecw and what will Tazz do, will he announce with Joey Styles

Straight Edge
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm a massive ECW mark, and I wouldn't have gotten into ECW, if it wasn't for some of my old friends from School, saying that there was a wrestling show that used to be on Saturday & Sunday Nights on Bravo (ECW on TNN)...I don't remember much about them now, but I do have various ECW PPV's on Video and DVD.

As for the return of ECW; well because it's gonna be the WWE version apart of me thinks that it will fail, just like the Alliance angle a few years back. But I generally hope that doesn't happen, because WWE has gone out of their way to sign various ex. ECW talent from the Independant Promotions, and some from other companies. I'd love to see Rhino come back to the ECW brand, but apart of me also wants me for him to stay where he is in TNA.

LionDen
05-10-2006, 02:00 AM
That is a problem, alot fo these people are in TNA, i wonder if Vince decided to do this now to counter-attack TNA and maybe even pursuade a few of these ECW stars to return.

LG
05-10-2006, 02:50 AM
I agree with Lionden. I think this is only to get WWE more higher than TNA, because right now TNA is going up top speed. I wander if Vince will be able to keeping topping TNA or will it start to go down hill?

LionDen
05-10-2006, 03:56 AM
If ECW starts off where it left of with the gore and blood, it might get a more popular following quicker than if it doesn't. As for this helping WWE beat TNA, I don't think so, not straight away anyway but if ECW kicks and gets high ratings and popularity, it will hurt it a bit.

Assassin™
05-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Just looking at Joey Styles and RVD's speeches, this looks to be a counterattack on TNA. A lot of stuff that even the most "diehard" WWE fans have been complaining about in recent years was adressed in Joey's "I quit" speech. The way he talked about WWE being a circus and not giving proper respect to the wrestlers and their talents. This has been the root of many problems that wrestling fans have had with WWE, and some of the main reasons so many are checking out TNA.

I think the idea behind bringing back ECW is very similar to the idea of buying out WCW and instituting the brand "extension". Instead of competition between WCW and WWE, there became "competition" between RAW and Smackdown. WWE was attempting to provide their own alternative. I think they are attempting the same thing with bringing back ECW. It will still be a part of World Wrestling Entertainment, but it will be (excuse the redundancy) an alternate alternative to TNA. All ECW shows and PPVs will still be funded and promoted alongside RAW and SD, but WWE will be attempting to duplicate the original promotion. It is my prediction that this attempt will be unsuccessful. Vince is too greedy and will not give the fans too much of a good thing. He will not ever allow for any ECW show to outshine or outdo Monday Night RAW or any WWE PPV. If you were a fan of the old ECW product, then you know it wasn't about holding anything back. ECW fans won't put up with the average WWE dealings (Do you remeber the "Shut The Fuck Up" chants from last year's ONS PPV pre-show on Spike TV? That was just great TV.). I just don't think the two cultures will mix very well and therefore will not be able to survive under the same umbrella that is the WWE brand of pro wrestling. Sure there will be tons of hype and expectations, but I think we could be in for another XFL.

Flair Country
05-11-2006, 12:19 AM
I honestly think that ECW will start off being a ratings giant and it will be something completely different for wrestling fans to watch. After a while the ratings will start to level off and Vince will get his grubby hands around the creative department and turn it into another Smackdown. Tons o' storylines and 1.5 wrestling matches per hour.

jonny32
05-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I can't wait