PDA

View Full Version : Bombs were for a TV show, says accused

OMEN
05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5151696,00.jpg
Confiscated ... Police remove drums from a house in Brisbane's north. A man has been charged after 10 detonators and four complete bombs were found in the home
A BRISBANE high school teacher denies being a terrorist and has told a court that a stockpile of explosives found at his home - including bombs stuffed with razor blades - were for use in a television production.
John Howard Amundsen, 40, of Aspley, in Brisbane's north, today faced the Brisbane Magistrates Court on one charge of fraud.

About 30 Aspley houses were evacuated after police allegedly found 53kg of explosives, some manufactured into bombs with nails and razor blades embedded in them, at Amundsen's home last night.

Police also evacuated and searched Ferny Grove State High School, in Brisbane's north-west, where Amundsen teaches.

An emergency situation was declared but lifted at 1.40pm (AEST) today.

Mr Amundsen told the court he had no affiliation to any violent terrorist organisation and had a high-level security clearance.

"Your honour, prior to the current charges I've worked for three years in public relations at the (Brisbane) airport and have a red ASIO security clearance," Mr Amundsen told Magistrate Lindy Bradford-Morgan.

"I don't have any affiliation to any violent organisation.

"The explosives are being used in a TV shoot.

"I've also cooperated with the police and helped them locate everything because I don't want any danger to them or the public."

Mr Amundsen was unrepresented in court.

Ms Bradford-Morgan adjourned the court hearing to allow Mr Amundsen to seek legal advice.

Police are planning to strenuously oppose any bail application.

NewsAU