PDA

View Full Version : WWE to apologize for Benoit tribute

oojay
06-27-2007, 01:44 AM
TVWeek.com is reporting that WWE Head Vince McMahon will appear on tonight's ECW on Sci Fi Broadcast to address the Chris Benoit tragedy and offer a public apology for the company's three hour tribute to Chris Benoit, which aired live last night before the company is believed to have learned the details of the circumstances behind the deaths of Benoit and his family.

How can WWE disrespect Benoit after all he's done for them???

Ill Will
06-27-2007, 01:48 AM
I think that's a little unnecessary. They obviously weren't aware of all the gory details last night. They shouldn't have to apologize.

oojay
06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
There is no reason to apologize for a tribute to a fallen comrade, no matter what the SUPPOSED details surrounding it.

legolas4792
06-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Mcmahon for president!

LInk_of_time
06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
theres no way any one with half a brain would hold the tribute to benoit against wwe.

Death Before Dishonor
06-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Benoit was sick in the head when he did that. Don't fucking apologize.

Will
06-27-2007, 02:40 AM
How can WWE disrespect Benoit after all he's done for them???

It probably has something to do with the fact that he brutally murdered his wife and 7 year old son. Its would be like the NFL doing a tribute show for OJ Simpson, except much much worse.

JohnCenaFan28
06-27-2007, 02:50 AM
He should just apologize to people who are offended by what he did about the tribute...

Super Klawz
06-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Yeah, um having a 3 hour tribute for a murderer isn't the greatest thing to do even if he did a lot for the WWE. The point is he murdered his family and that should not be glorified, simple as.

bad_meetz_evil
06-27-2007, 02:54 AM
And what do the WWE say for all the work he's done for the WWE? I wonder how Raw would of went if they knew that information. Their just going to continue the show, and the McMahon death angle? Jeez.

Ill Will
06-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Yeah, um having a 3 hour tribute for a murderer isn't the greatest thing to do even if he did a lot for the WWE. The point is he murdered his family and that should not be glorified, simple as.WWE didn't have the slightest idea that Benoit murdered anyone when RAW aired last night. They found out Benoit was dead only 4 hours before the show started. Most of the time between the start of RAW and when they were notified was spent putting together an impromptu tribute. They definitely weren't glorifying the act of him killing anyone. That's just stupid of you to say.

If anything, they should apologize to the fans for the immensely horrible death angle they've been working the past 2 weeks, up until yesterday afternoon. I would gladly accept an apology for that.

Super Klawz
06-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Well now obviously knowing the events that occurred the tribute will come across as the WWE gloryfying and honouring a murderer and I don't think anybody would want to do that.

Plus do you think everyone watching knows that they only found out 4 hours before? I really doubt that everyone does know that and that is probably what the apology is for because it may be perceived that a murderer was being glorified.

vegeta02012
06-27-2007, 03:19 AM
I think that they should have apologized to those offended because they were reacting to the news that a dear friend and employee had died and wanted to honor his memory, not for a moment considering that he could have murdered them. Even the most jaded person couldnt blame the WWE for doing that. So i agree with them apologizing but i think that they should only apologize to those still offended after explaining their position to them. To give no acknowledgement of Benoit's death wouldnt have been right either

LG
06-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Last night on Monday Night Raw, the WWE presented a special tribute show, recognizing the career of Chris Benoit. However, now some 26 hours later, the facts of this horrific tragedy are now apparent. Therefore, other than my comments, there will be no mention of Mr. Benoit tonight. On the contrary, tonight's show will be dedicated to everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident. This evening marks the first step of the healing process. Tonight, the WWE performers will do what they do better than anyone else in the world--entertain you.

wwe.com

JohnCenaFan28
06-27-2007, 04:01 AM
I don't know what to say...

ironicicon
06-27-2007, 04:10 AM
I don't know what to say...

Right there with you...

Will
06-27-2007, 04:11 AM
I don't watch ecw. Did this message open the tv show or was it just for the in house crowd?

Ill Will
06-27-2007, 04:15 AM
obviously knowing the events that occurred the tribute will come across as the WWE gloryfying and honouring a murdererNo, it wouldn't look that way at all. If you even watched the tribute, they said several times that they didn't have any other information on how Benoit died. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense will realize that RAW aired live before it came out that it was a murder/suicide. At the time RAW went on air, all WWE knew was that Benoit was dead. Any reasonable human being would understand this, would not be offended, would not expect an apology, and would not hold it against WWE for making a tribute to Benoit when all they knew at the time was that he was dead.

Plus do you think everyone watching knows that they only found out 4 hours before?Anyone and everyone who has read the news articles that mention WWE being notified at 4 PM would know this, and that would probably be almost everyone. Anyone who didn't know would probably initially be appalled that there was a tribute to Benoit, but would probably then read up on exactly how the news came out Monday afternoon.

At least that's what any reasonable person would do who doesn't jump to conclusions, but WWE shouldn't be held responsible for the ignorance of a minority.

Jaymac2327
06-27-2007, 04:29 AM
This message opened the show. And I have to say I was totally blown away by it. Vince looked he was crying again tonight. I feel that this was the right thing to do, don't know what everyone else thinks. But the WWE paid tribute to one of the greats and because of the timeframe didn't wait in order for the investigation to be completed enough to know what the circumstances surrounding the Benoit family's death. No apology needed by WWE.

ironicicon
06-27-2007, 04:33 AM
I had no idea any of this happened when I turned on Raw. Like any other Monday night, I turned on the tv, turned the stereo sound on and waited for my show to start, and that's when the "In Memory" came up. I was upset that he had died and had no idea until I came online that he might be responsible. So, should they apologize? I'm not sure. In no uncetain terms should he be glorified for doing what he allegedly did, but at the time all of this happened, not everyone was aware of the circumstances. They did what they did to honor one of their own without knowledge of the full story. In truth, I think he should be remembered for what he did in the ring, however, that's all tarnished now. Everything he's done in his career is being overshadowed by this tragedy and everything he's done is basically for nothing. If the WWE knew of the circumstances beforehand and then did a tribute show to him, it would've been in poor taste. But considering the fact that nothing became public knowledge until later on, then they should have nothing to apologize for. Basically, all he's worked for is moot now. It's like it doesn't exist. I guess it's just an iffy situation concerning the apology. The apology Vince gave was straight to the point and saying pretty much what I said. 26 hours later the facts surrounding this case came about. It's not a bad thing to cover all bases. If some were offended after the fact, then it's taken care of. Myself, I wasn't offended. Others, though, I'm sure, family, friends, may have been. The tribute wasn't out of malice and they thought they were doing it out of respect for one of their own.

ironicicon
06-27-2007, 04:36 AM
This message opened the show. And I have to say I was totally blown away by it. Vince looked he was crying again tonight. I feel that this was the right thing to do, don't know what everyone else thinks. But the WWE paid tribute to one of the greats and because of the timeframe didn't wait in order for the investigation to be completed enough to know what the circumstances surrounding the Benoit family's death. No apology needed by WWE.

Wow! You summed up what I wrote in another post with way less words. Some may have been offended, but it wasn't their fault as they were paying respect to one of their own without extensive knowledge of what happened.

Will
06-27-2007, 04:40 AM
Thats not really an apology though. Its more of an explanation to why Benoit isnt going to be treated like Eddie was with the week of tributes and constant mentions. I think it served its purpose well.

vegeta02012
06-27-2007, 08:00 AM
^^Couldnt have said it better

Vance
06-27-2007, 09:03 AM
thats fuckin stupid just Vince trying to make the WWE look good out of this whole situation :no:

LionDen
06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Last night on Monday Night Raw, the WWE presented a special tribute show, recognizing the career of Chris Benoit. However, now some 26 hours later, the facts of this horrific tragedy are now apparent. Therefore, other than my comments, there will be no mention of Mr. Benoit tonight. On the contrary, tonight's show will be dedicated to everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident. This evening marks the first step of the healing process. Tonight, the WWE performers will do what they do better than anyone else in the world--entertain you.

His e-message on wwe.com was the same message on ECW show. They had to do this to cover their ass and it was the right thing to do by them as a business/company. Personally, I think they should stand by Benoit a little more, even if it is only about his wrestling career. It is a shame alot of people can not separate the two and this is why I understand WWEs view on this tragedy.

Vinnyspapa
06-27-2007, 09:36 PM
thats fuckin stupid just Vince trying to make the WWE look good out of this whole situation :no:

Whats the problem with that? None of it was the WWEs fault but they sure are getting criticized for it so Vince is protecting his company. One thing I cant stand is all the Vince McMahon bashing because of this. People are always looking for any stupid excuse to bash him.

DirtMerchant
06-28-2007, 02:41 AM
My sentiments exactly

DirtMerchant
06-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Whats the problem with that? None of it was the WWEs fault but they sure are getting criticized for it so Vince is protecting his company. One thing I cant stand is all the Vince McMahon bashing because of this. People are always looking for any stupid excuse to bash him.

My sentiments exactly

jarry
06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
that is simply STUPID