PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit Wikipedia Mystery - What The ?!

Phenomenal One
06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
This is a really strange story and its been picked up by FOX News as well as the Wikipedia news outlet .. Apparently, Chris Benoit's Wikipedia page was updated with information regarding Nancy and Daniel's murders 14 hours before the Atlanta police ever entered Benoit's home to discover the crime scene.

From Wikipedia:

Wikinews has learned through an investigation that anonymous edits on the Wikipedia article Chris Benoit were added about the death of his wife Nancy Benoit 14 hours before police entered the Benoit home to find the former professional World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Canadian wrestler and his family dead.

From FOX News:

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy at least 13 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned. Employees at Wikipedia.org said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.

source: sescoops.com

Ill Will
06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
It definitely raises some questions. I'm not sure what to think of it. I think it would be a huge coincidence that it was just some troll who made up a rumor.

I mean, I've seen stuff like this happen before when people have posted false information that happened to come true, but this is just too lucky. The thing is, she was dead at the time this was done, but the police didn't know about it yet. I lot of people, including the police, rushed to the conclusion that Chris killed Nancy, Daniel, and himself. I'm just wondering if this will change what anyone is saying.

Phenomenal One
06-29-2007, 07:52 AM
you make a good point will, this my change what people think, but im not sure, it will be interesting how this transpires

modest91
06-29-2007, 09:50 PM
The IP address was traced to Stamford, CT, and the user who posted this says he found a rumor on wrestling websites and put it on Wikipedia, ans has steped forward and admitted it, and he said it was a terrible coincidence.

JohnCenaFan28
06-29-2007, 11:17 PM
What is the guy's name?

LionDen
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
I have to say, this is one of the biggest coincidences I have seen in quite a time. Guess it happens but amazing none the less. Would certainly be intriguing if this actually ended up being something.

Black Widow
06-30-2007, 12:36 AM
because this has to do with this ill put it here

The following is from Wikipedia.com:

The anonymous individual responsible for suggesting, 14 hours before police discovered the body, that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit's wife was dead is confessing, saying his/her comment was a "terrible coincidence."

The anonymous editor left a lengthy apology to the Wikimedia community, explaining, "I hope this puts an end to this speculation that someone knew about the tragedy before it was discovered."

Below is the full, unedited apology:

"... Hey everyone. I am here to talk about the wikipedia comment that was left by myself. I just want to say that it was an incredible coincidence. Last weekend, I had heard about Chris Benoit no showing Vengeance because of a family emergency, and I had heard rumors about why that was. I was reading rumors and speculation about this matter online, and one of them included that his wife may have passed away, and I did the wrong thing by posting it on wikipedia to spite there being no evidence. I posted my speculation on the situation at the time and I am deeply sorry about this, and I was just as shocked as everyone when I heard that this actually would happen in real life. It is one of those things that just turned into a huge coincidence. That night I found out that what I posted, ended up actually happening, a 1 in 10,000 chance of happening, or so I thought. I was beyond wrong for posting wrongful information, and I am sorry to everyone for this. I just want everyone to know it was stupid of me, and I will never do anything like this again. I just posted something that was at that time a piece of wrong unsourced information that is typical on wikipedia, as it is done all the time.

Nonetheless, I feel incredibly bad for all the attention this got because of the fact that what I said turned out to be the truth. Like I said it was just a major coincidence, and I will never vandalize anything on wikipedia or post wrongful information. I've learned from this experience. I just can't believe what I wrote was actually the case, I've remained stunned and saddened over it.

I wish not to reveal my identity so I can keep me and my family out of this since they have nothing to do with anything. I am not connected to WWE or Benoit at all in anyway. I am from Stamford as the IP address shows, and I am just an everyday individual who posted a wrongful remark at the time that received so much attention because it turned out to actually happen. I will say again I didn't know anything about the Benoit tragedy, it was a terrible coincidence that I never saw coming.

I hope this puts an end to this speculation that someone knew about the tragedy before it was discovered. It was just a rumor that I had heard about from other people online who were speculating what the family emergency Chris was attending to. I made a big mistake by posting this comment on his page, since all we had were what we thought was going on and nothing about what actually was going on yet, and sadly what happened turned out to be my speculation at the time. I assumed wiki would edit out my information, which they did, so thats why I didn't go back to edit it out myself.

I know I keep repeating it but I feel terrible about the mainstream coverage this has received, since it was only a huge coincidence and a terrible event that should of never happened. I am not sure how to react, as hearing about my message becoming a huge part of the Benoit slayings made me feel terrible as everyone believes that it is connected to the tragedy, but it was just an awful coincidence. That is all I have to say, I will never post anything here again unless it is pure fact, no spam nothing like that. Thank you, and let this end this chapter of the Benoit story, and hopefully one day we will find out why this tragedy ever actually happened."

Kellie
06-30-2007, 03:15 AM
The same kinda story was in an Australian newspaper today saying it was traced to an Australian website

A BIZARRE Australian link has emerged in the murder-suicide of US wrestling star Chris Benoit - with evidence news of his wife's death was posted on the web from Sydney 14 hours before police made it public.

Records show that the death of World Wrestling Entertainment star Benoit's wife was revealed in a Wikipedia article 14 hours before police discovered the bodies of the family.

While police did not find the bodies of Benoit, his wife and son until 6.30pm local time, the Wikipedia entry on the death of Benoit's wife updated much earlier - first at 4am local time from a computer apparently in Connecticut, and then an hour later from a computer connected to the internet via Australian provider Unwired.com.au.

The computer has been reported as being in Sydney.

Wikipedia is now reporting the bizarre events on Benoit's entry as follows:

"...one hour later after the first edit reversion, another anonymous edit by ****** using unwiredAustralia.com.au, a wireless Internet service provider, was made adding about the aforementioned personal issues: "Which according to several pro wrestling websites is attributed to the passing of Benoit's wife, Nancy." That edit was reverted just under 20 minutes later, with the comment: "Saying 'several pro wrestling websites' is still not reliable information."

"Further investigation shows that the IP address used to make the first edit is located in Connecticut, but the IP address is not linked to any computers or servers used by the WWE, but according to Cary Bass, Volunteer Coordinator for the Wikimedia Foundation, the IP address matches a location in Stamford, Connecticut where the WWE headquarters is located."

Bass also informed the local authorities in Atlanta about the unusual edits, but it is not known if the edits were investigated by the police. The second edit was made by a computer in Australia from a wireless network.

"It didn't become apparent until someone put the pieces together and realized that the comment was made by someone who apparently knew about the murders," Bass said.

The Wikinews investigation is unable to conclude whether the anonymous editors had inside information about the death of Nancy Benoit.

"This is not the first time Benoit's article has been edited to show false or unsourced information, as the article's edit history indicates a long history of promotional spam and vandalism," it said.

"Around the time of the edits, the article contained a hidden warning to editors of the section mentioned, warning against adding rumours and speculations . For the time being, Benoit's article has been protected in an attempt to stop the addition of fraudulent information. "

Benoit, 40, strangled his wife, smothered his seven-year-old son and then hanged himself from his gym equipment, police have said. Their bodies were found inside their mansion in Fayetteville, Georgia, an Atlanta suburb.

Daily Telegraph

ironicicon
06-30-2007, 05:43 AM
It's just too much of a coincidence. The computer happened to be in Stamford... someone knows something it would seem.

Of course, this could just be an addition to the conspiracy theories running around.

LionDen
06-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Authorities have tracked down the individual responsible for the wikipedia hoax that listed Nancy Benoit as deceased hours before the Benoit family tragedy was discovered by Georgia police, seizing the computer used to analyze it for any potential involvement or knowledge in the tragedy.

Lt. Tommy Pope, a spokesman for the Fayette County, Ga., Sheriff's Departmenthas said:

"It is unbelievable what a hindrance this has put on our investigation.

We've got to put a lot of effort and time into working to prove or disprove that someone put up a hoax situation or that somebody was conceiving the death from out of state."

We know who the person is," Pope said, adding that police wouldn't reveal his or her identity until early next week. By then they hope to have determined whether the person was implicated in what police earlier this week called a double murder-homicide.

If the person had knowledge of the death before police discovered the body, he or she could face criminal charges."

To read the full story, click here (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3327310&page=1).

JohnCenaFan28
06-30-2007, 06:54 PM
^^I hope it was that freakshow who caused this and not Benoit...

Platinum_Lies
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Regardless of this hoax/possible knowledge on wiki, all of the confusion with this case is just proving my point. The police should have waited for more evidence to return before opening their mouths and declaring anyone guilty or the situation identified. They may have completely muddied the waters for all time and it might never be known what really happened.

JohnCenaFan28
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
^^You're right...