PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the six sided ring

legolas4792
07-14-2007, 05:41 AM
I mean is it really neccesary? I know Tna likes to try and be different but the six sided ring makes the ring smaller and the rope lengths smaller it is just less entertaining for me.

What is your opinion on the ring shape?

Butoden
07-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I am not bothered too much by it, how is a ring shape less entertaining? They are trying to distinguish themselves in the world of wrestling and the six sided ring is just part of that. I am not sure which ring I like more the classic ring or the 6-sided ring, but I know I like six sides of steel more than the WWE cage.

There are several advantages for a six sided ring like when there is a big tag match like the one on iMPACT! last night, or the X-Division Six way with Tiger Mask on the previous PPV, like every guy had it's own corner and I think thats pretty cool.

flamesoffury
07-14-2007, 02:03 PM
i agree with butoden. the 6 sided ring doesnt bother me that much.. i enjoy seeing them move around in angles.. its alright to me.

J-man
07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I think it helps them get noticed, but it also helps them do less stuff like they can only do so much in that ring so you are all right lol

Garden State Saint
07-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Everybody should know by now that TNA didn't invent the six sided ring.

Ill Will
07-15-2007, 06:33 AM
^ No one in this thread ever claimed that TNA "invented" the six-sided ring, we are just noting that they use it.

I like the six-sided ring more than the 4-sided one. There are many more possibilities for the performers. It may have slightly less surface area, but it allows matches, especially X-division matches, more exciting.

Flair Country
07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I found this interesting little tid bit on Yahoo! Answers and thought this would be a good place to put it.

WWE rings are 20X20, about 400 square feet. However I have been to several house shows where the dimensions seemed a bit smaller. 20X20 is the standard for WWE television and pay per views. The WWE does this purposely to create more slow paced matches and because of larger events like the royal rumble and other battle royals.

Each side of a TNA ring is about 12 feet, giving it an area of (length of 1 side)2 x 2.6 = 374.4 square feet. As you can see,not really that much smaller than a WWE ring, just different dimensions.

Because of the angles it does appear quite a bit smaller on camera. The aerial views give the truest picture of the size of the TNA ring, and it is fairly large by wrestling standards. The real difference that the six sided ring gives is tighter ropes for more spring for better aerial action, and faster sequences off of the ropes. the six sided ring also makes TNA cages tighter. A normal chain length cage can give as much as 2-3 feet upon impact, where as TNA's give to its chain cages can be measured generally in less than a foot, making the cage matches stiffer. TNA can also employ taller cages and still maintain maximum stability.

Some other ring sizes of known wrestling companies past and present.

ECW 16X16 in their earlier days, though they did use an 18x18 ring later.

WCW 18x18

ROH 16x16

Most of your indies vary in sizes. Most average about 15x15 or 16x16. Most larger feds have used 18x18 as pretty standard over the years. Some really small feds have been known to use 12x12. Some womens promotions have used a 12x12. Not many indies that I have ever seen use a ring as big as an 18x18, because of their smaller venue sizes.

Will
07-20-2007, 02:55 AM
It was odd the first few times I saw it, but I don't even really notice the difference anymore.

legolas4792
07-20-2007, 03:37 AM
the wwe ring is small too i saw it live the camera angle makes it look big i just prefer four sides more than 6 for a few reasons

Will
07-20-2007, 03:41 AM
I think they use a smaller ring at the house shows. I went to a couple events last year,a couple ECW and Smackdown house shows and a Live Raw taping, and the house show rings looked a lot smaller than the TV ring.

XXKSXX
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't mind it and it sets TNA apart from the rest of the wrestling companies.

2 Cool 4 Ya
07-26-2007, 08:44 PM
TNA actually got there ring from AAA. AAA has a six sided ring and they have more Lucha Libre wrestling and well at the time, I suppose TNA was pushing the X division as that was the reason for them getting popular so they made the switch from 4 side's to six side's but I'm not sure. In my opinion the six sided ring give's them identity. It's what make's them different then promotion's like WWE, ROH, CZW and such. I think the ring is more benficial than negative. It allow's the X divivision wrestler's to do more and it really doesn't hurt the main event like matches with the bigger men. In the end it add's more phsycology to the matches.

Camoflague
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I like how the ring supports high flying moves, but sometimes it seems as if the ring is a little bit too small for some wrestlers.

Ill Will
07-27-2007, 12:46 AM
TNA actually got there ring from AAA.With that logic, you could say WWE got there four-sided ring from the NWA or from pro boxing. It doesn't really matter that someone else used a certain type of ring first.

JohnCenaFan28
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd say the only real advantage of having a six-sided ring would be to have larger tag matches.