PDA

View Full Version : Rihanna achieves chart landmark

OMEN
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44005000/jpg/_44005554_rihanna_afp203b.jpg
Rihanna has just announced her first major UK arena tour
R&B singer Rihanna has scored the longest-running number one single in a decade after claiming a 10th week at the top of the UK chart.

Umbrella becomes the first song since Wet Wet Wet's Love Is All Around in 1994 to spend more than nine weeks in pole position on the countdown.

Frankie Laine's I Believe holds the record, with 18 weeks on top in 1953.

Tenor and Britain's Got Talent Winner Paul Potts entered the album chart at number one with his debut One Chance.

The 36-year-old former mobile phone salesman, who was signed by Simon Cowell after winning the ITV1 show, displaced rock band The Enemy from the top of the charts.

Double figures

Behind Rihanna - only the seventh artist in the history of the chart to reach a 10th week - was Kate Nash, Timbaland, Fergie and Enrique Iglesias.

MOST WEEKS AT NUMBER ONE
18 weeks - Frankie Laine, I Believe (1953)
16 weeks - Bryan Adams, (Everything I Do) I Do It For You (1991)
15 weeks - Wet Wet Wet, Love Is All Around (1994)
11 weeks - Slim Whitman, Rose Marie (1955)
10 weeks - David Whitfield, Cara Mia (1954)
10 weeks - Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You (1992)
Source: Official UK Charts Company

Mark Ronson's cover of Kaiser Chiefs' hit Oh My God - with vocals by Lily Allen, climbed into the top 10 at number eight.

Amy McDonald, Mika and Biffy Clyro all climbed up the chart into the top 20, while the cast of High School Musical 2 scored a new entry with What Time Is It at 20.

Wet Wet Wet's 1994 hit song remained at the top of the charts for 15 weeks, but was surpassed by (Everything I Do) I Do It For You by Bryan Adams, which clung on for 16 weeks in 1991.

Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You reigned at number one for 10 weeks one year later.

David Whitfield's Cara Mia and Rose Marie by Slim Whitman also made double figures in 1954 and 1955.

BBC