PDA

View Full Version : Bonds still chasing the Babe

W-OLF
05-13-2006, 01:58 PM
AP) - Barry Bonds is getting pitches to hit. He just hasn't come up with that big swing to tie the Babe. After going 0-for-3 with an intentional walk Friday night in his fourth straight game without a homer, Bonds is still sitting at 713 home runs - one shy of tying Babe Ruth for second place on the career list.

A sellout crowd of 42,885 showed up in San Francisco hoping to witness history. Instead, Bonds blew a play in the outfield and failed to run out a popup that Jeff Kent dropped during the Giants' 6-1 loss to the rival Los Angeles Dodgers.

"We know he has a lack of range," Giants manager Felipe Alou said. "He didn't play last year. He's not 100 percent in shape right now, and he's going to be 42. I don't know many 42-year-olds who have good range."

Bonds was intentionally walked in the first, popped out in the third, lined out to right leading off the sixth and reached in the eighth on a fielder's choice when Kent dropped his popup to second.

Kent threw to second base for a forceout, and the Dodgers nearly doubled up Bonds, who had turned back toward the dugout before running to first and barely beating the relay throw.

"I'm going to talk with him," Alou said, smiling.

There was speculation Kent dropped the ball on purpose. He clashed with Bonds when they were teammates with the Giants and even scuffled in the dugout.

"That's the question of the day," Kent said. "I don't give away my secrets. I'm the wrong guy to ask."

Elsewhere, John Smoltz threw a complete game for Atlanta, and Houston temporarily removed struggling All-Star Brad Lidge from the closer's role.

In other NL games, it was: San Diego 10, Chicago 5; Pittsburgh 12, Florida 9; Philadelphia 8, Cincinnati 4; Atlanta 6, Washington 2; Milwaukee 9, New York 6; Houston 12, Colorado 2; and St. Louis 5, Arizona 3.

The Giants threw a belated 75th birthday bash for Bonds' godfather, Willie Mays, and celebrated Alou's 71st birthday. But Kenny Lofton spoiled the party, hitting a two-run single in Los Angeles' three-run third against Matt Morris (2-4).

Lofton singled in another run in the fifth for a season-high three RBIs. Nomar Garciaparra had three hits and drove in a run for the sixth straight game.

Brad Penny (3-1) pitched five scoreless innings as the Dodgers won for the sixth time in seven games since a season-long five-game skid. Penny came out because of stiffness in his back.

"I don't care who hits a home run, Bonds or whoever," said Penny, who doesn't expect to miss a start because of his back. "I don't think about that at all. It's his personal stats."

Braves 6, Nationals 2

At Atlanta, Smoltz pitched a four-hitter for his second complete game this season and Jeff Francoeur had three RBIs.

The Braves beat Ramon Ortiz (0-4) and won for the fourth time in five games. Smoltz (3-2) gave up a two-run homer to Ryan Zimmerman and struck out seven, moving past Chuck Finley for 21st place on the career list with 2,611.

Astros 12, Rockies 2

At Houston, Morgan Ensberg had four RBIs, including a tiebreaking, three-run homer in the sixth. Craig Biggio and Mike Lamb also connected for the Astros.

Colorado has dropped three straight for the first time this season. Jason Jennings (2-3) took the loss.

Lidge pitched a hitless seventh with one strikeout. Astros manager Phil Garner said he probably will not use Lidge in save situations for the next couple of games as he makes adjustments that the team hopes will be a remedy for his recent struggles.

Padres 10, Cubs 5

At Chicago, Mike Piazza had four hits and San Diego won for the 12th time in 13 games.

Piazza doubled in the go-ahead run in the fourth, and the Padres scored five in the fifth, an inning in which there were three errors by the Cubs, who have lost 12 of 14. San Diego starter Woody Williams strained his left calf running the bases and is headed to the disabled list.

Phillies 8, Reds 4

At Cincinnati, Cole Hamels threw five shutout innings in a solid major league debut, and Shane Victorino's four hits sent surging Philadelphia to its 11th victory in 12 games.

Victorino and Ryan Howard had two-run homers. The 22-year-old Hamels gave up one hit - Felipe Lopez's double with two outs in the fifth - and struck out seven on a raw night, meeting the grand expectations for Philadelphia's top pitching prospect. Ryan Madson (2-2) got the win.

Cardinals 5, Diamondbacks 3

At St. Louis, Jim Edmonds homered and drove in three runs to back Mark Mulder (4-1) as the Cardinals won for the sixth time in seven games. Albert Pujols drove in his major league-leading 44th run and Jason Isringhausen got his 11th save.

Brewers 9, Mets 6

At Milwaukee, Prince Fielder homered twice, Geoff Jenkins hit a three-run double and the Brewers finally figured out Jose Lima. Derrick Turnbow got his 12th save in 12 chances.

Milwaukee scored its first seven runs with two outs, including six in the fifth to deal the NL East-leading Mets their fourth loss in five games. Carlos Delgado homered for New York.

Lima (0-2) came in with a 10-0 record and 1.92 ERA in 14 appearances against Milwaukee.

Pirates 12, Marlins 9

At Pittsburgh, Jason Bay hit a bases-loaded triple and had four RBIs after getting dropped to sixth in the batting order.

The Pirates overcame a 5-0 first-inning deficit in a wild game between teams with the NL's two worst records. Matt Capps (1-0) got his first major league win, and Mike Gonzalez earned his fifth save.