PDA

View Full Version : NHL:Ducks decline Penner offer sheet from Oilers

OMEN
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Dustin Penner is the newest Oiler after Anaheim general manager Brian Burke chose not to match Edmonton's five-year, $21.25-million US offer sheet on Thursday.

The Ducks will receive a first, second and third-round draft pick as compensation for Penner, who was a restricted free agent.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2007/07/26/penner-dustin070726x190.jpg
Dustin Penner notched 29 goals and 45 points last season, his first full campaign with the Ducks.

Penner is the first player to switch teams as a result of an offer sheet in a decade, after Tampa Bay declined to match the offer Philadelphia gave to Chris Gratton in 1997.

The Penner signing would have pushed Anaheim over the $50.3-million salary cap, though teams are allowed to exceed the limit by 10 per cent until Oct. 1.

Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe signed Penner to a five-year offer sheet after failing to get Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres last month. Sabres GM Darcy Regier later matched Edmonton's seven-year, $50-million offer.

Penner, 24, will average $4.25 million per year in his new deal after earning $425,000 last season.

Burke had a week to match the offer and waited until the deadline had passed before announcing he was letting him go.

The six-foot-four right-winger shone on Anaheim's Kid Line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry last season, notching 29 goals and 45 points in his first full campaign with the Ducks, winning a Stanley Cup last season.

The native of Winkler, Man., added eight points in 21 playoff games.

Undrafted by NHL teams, the six-foot-four-inch, 243-pound Penner was signed by former Ducks GM Bryan Murray as a free agent out of U.S. college in May 2004. He has played in 101 regular season games over his short career.

After Edmonton tendered its offer to Penner on July 26, Burke expressed his anger at the move.

"I have no problem with offer sheets, they are part of the CBA [collective bargaining agreement]," Burke said on a conference call. "I think it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use.

"My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams."

CBC