PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities set for Reid funeral

OMEN
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44044000/jpg/_44044215_reid303.jpg
Mike Reid will be cremated in Essex on Wednesday
Famous names from show business are expected at the funeral of actor and comedian Mike Reid.

The 67-year-old star, who played Frank Butcher in BBC's EastEnders, suffered a heart attack on 29 July.

His agent David Hahn said EastEnders' actors Barbara Windsor and June Brown would join Frank Carson and Russ Abbot among the mourners.

The funeral will take place at Little Easton Parish Church in Essex. Reid had lived in nearby Great Easton.

Mr Hahn, who will read tributes along with one of Reid's son's Jimmy, said he had been "amazed" by the reaction to the actor's death.

"Mike was a people's person. He loved the working man in the street. Mike always said to me, 'it's those people who put me where I am today'," he said.

"I knew Mike was a popular man but I never in a million years expected him to be as popular as this. I've had over 2,000 e-mails expressing condolences."

Mr Hahn added that Reid's family, including his widow Shirley, 69, were still "numb" at his death.

"Shirley has not just lost a husband, she has also lost her best friend. He doted on her and he was her rock," he said.

"Mike was 6ft 3in and she is a petite lady but, to Mike, she was the biggest person in the world."

Following the service mourners will attend a wake for Reid who will be cremated in Chelmsford, Essex, on Wednesday.

BBC