PDA

View Full Version : World becomes Dominic Bowden's stage

OMEN
08-26-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/319650.jp
NEW DIRECTION: Dominic Bowden will be fronting a big new series in the USA.
Dominic Bowden has given dozens of wannabes a shot at fame and fortune as the frontman of NZ Idol - but Bowden is about to live the dream himself, hosting his own worldwide reality show on the US Fox network.

The Next Great American Band will catapult the likeable Kiwi into the same cult status as American Idol host Ryan Seacrest.

Bowden's new prime-time show has been in the making for several years and is tipped to be a major hit.

Created by the makers of American Idol and America's Got Talent, The Next Great American Band will screen from October.

Bands from around the US will compete for a major recording deal.

But Bowden's audition for the job that will turn him into a superstar, and probably earn him millions, didn't go exactly to plan.

He arrived in Los Angeles from a New Zealand winter and decided to work on his tan.

The bright Californian sunshine took its toll on Bowden, whose face went bright red.

"When I got to the interview the next morning, they asked me if I was feeling OK because I looked a bit flushed," he told New Zealand Woman's Weekly.

"So I launched into the tale of my sunburn and everyone had a good laugh."

Bowden said the network executives told him the same thing had happened when they hired Seacrest.

Bowden has visited the US several times in the past year, after his agent Karen Kay signed him with the Williams Morris Agency in Los Angeles.

The date of his final audition for The Next Great American Band clashed with filming of the episode of Kiwi TV travel show Intrepid Journeys he was to host.

But his mate, Shortland Street hunk Shane Cortese, was able to take over the role.

"Shane saved my bacon big-time and I owe him," Bowden said.

Unfortunately for Cortese, he had his cellphone - with all his contact numbers - stolen while in Sri Lanka filming Intrepid Journeys.

Bowden will become the second Kiwi whose signing by a major US network will turn him into a household name. Christchurch-born Phil Keoghan is recognised around the planet as host of The Amazing Race.

Sunday News