PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous actress back on stage

OMEN
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/319899.jpg
NAME CALLING: Claire Chitham, who played Aurora on the hit TV3 show Outrageous Fortune, is rehearsing for a new play at the Silo Theatre.
Claire Chitham still gets called Aurora when she's out and about in the city.

That comes with the territory when you play a leading role on TV3's popular Outrageous Fortune.

"It's part of being invited into people's lounges," the 28-year-old says.

But Claire's part in the series is now limited to the occasional flashback after the death of her character in a motorbike crash.

The Oratia resident has returned to live stagework.

She's rehearsing for Tom Stoppard's The Real Thing which starts at the Silo Theatre on August 31.

"The play has its own little journey of growth," Claire says.

"It's a beautiful play to do."

Her character is poles apart from former stripper and gang affiliate Aurora and just as different from Waverley, the bubbly receptionist played by Claire in Shortland Street for a number of years.

Claire loved her time on Outrageous Fortune.

"I'm pleased I got to play Aurora," she says.

"I came in with a hiss and a roar and I left with a hiss and a roar. I don't think I ever expected to be there that long."

Claire, who is married to radio and music personality Mikey Havoc, misses working with the actors on the show but is excited to be working with a new group of friends including ex Shortland Streeters Theresa Healey and Paul Ellis.

Former Neighbours actor Stephen Lovatt plays the main character.

Claire, who has been acting professionally since the age of 12, says there is no real difference between stagework and television.

"It's just as hard to hop on stage and be truthful with the audience right there in your face," she says.

"I love it," she says.

Stuff NZ