PDA

View Full Version : Radio 1 revives Nightingale show

OMEN
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42721000/jpg/_42721365_annie_nightingale_203bbc.jpg
Annie Nightingale has had a long and varied career
BBC Radio 1 have announced that Annie Nightingale's Request Show is being revived for one night only to mark the station's 40th anniversary.

The show, which went out on Sunday nights after the chart rundown, lasted for 12 years, even though it had only been planned for a three-month run.

Remembering the show on the Radio 1 website, Nightingale said she thought it had become "quite weird and quirky".

The two-hour show will be broadcast on 30 September.

'Broadcasting twist'

The programme first hit the airwaves in 1982, with Nightingale describing it as a "cult listen".

"From week one the requests came in by the sack load," said the 65-year-old.

Throughout the years, listeners used a variety of props to get their demands noticed - with requests submitted on a house brick, a paper prayer mat and the rubber end of a shower attachment.

"For me, getting so much mail - so many hilarious, poignant, witty, daring communications - was like Christmas every week," said Nightingale.

"I read every single one and I loved doing that."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42721000/jpg/_42721415_annie_203_70bbc.jpg
Annie Nightingale joined Radio 1 in 1970

Despite the request programme's popularity throughout the 1980s, Nightingale admits she had concerns it would eventually come to an end.

"I was in constant fear that, having found a unique broadcasting twist, the show would get taken off.

"We weren't mainstream, we didn't play much chart stuff, but somehow I had connected with a generation," she said.

Only two guests ever appeared on the show - John Lydon of the Sex Pistols and Shaun Ryder from the Happy Mondays.

Nightingale, who now presents a late-night dance music show on Radio 1, counts Trainspotting author Irvine Welsh and several Radiohead members amongst her fans.

Fans can send in their requests for the anniversary special via the Radio 1 website.

BBC