PDA

View Full Version : Soccer: Wenger agrees new deal at Arsenal

AFC1986
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44099000/jpg/_44099890_wenger203.jpg
Wenger joined Arsenal in 1996

Arsene Wenger has agreed a new three-year contract as Arsenal manager, BBC Sport understands.

The Gunners are set to announce in the next two days that an agreement has been reached with the 57-year-old French boss.

"The new deal will earn Wenger about £4m a year," said BBC sports editor Mihir Bose.

"The timing is no big surprise because the last time he signed a new deal was towards the end of his last contract."

Wenger's deal was set to run out at the end of the season and speculation over his future was fuelled by the departure of striker Thierry Henry in the summer and vice-chairman David Dein, who brought him to the club.

Bose added: "Arsenal have enjoyed a revolution under Wenger, he changed their style of play.

"He wants to win the Champions League with the Gunners - make a mark. He wants to stand alongside former boss Herbert Chapman as one of the Arsenal greats.

"There was talk of Real Madrid being interested in him. And now it looks unlikely he will become the next England boss - Wenger does not break a contract."

Wenger recently revealed he was excited about the current squad, that includes the four players he signed in the summer.

"Since the beginning of the season something has been happening in this team," he said.

"They fight for each other, they have a great togetherness and love for the game."

Another indication that Wenger was set to pledge his future to the club was given by playmaker Cesc Fabregas.

The Spaniard revealed in July that he would snub any approach by Real Madrid in order to continue playing under Wenger at the Emirates.

"I am only 20 and all I have to do is enjoy my football and improve - and I want to do that with this team. I will try to win titles with Arsenal and give my all to Arsene Wenger.

"I will always be grateful to him for giving me my chance."

Wenger's side have made a good start to the season - lying second in the Premier League and having ensured their place in the Champions League group stage with victory over Sparta Prague.

Many fancy the Gunners to finish in the top four and challenge in Europe, something that has become a habit for the club under the reign of Wenger.

The Frenchman, brought over from Japanese side Grampus Eight in 1996, has guided Arsenal to three Premier League titles and four FA Cup triumphs.

The team, who have never finished outside the top four in that time, came close to landing the Champions League title in 2006 but were beaten by Barcelona in the final.

credit: bbc sport

this is news that all arsenal fans, myself included, have been waiting for. this will most probably be his last contract and hopefully this news will motivate the players to play well and continue our good start to the season