PDA

View Full Version : UFC’s Terry Martin Suing Chicago Police and Mayor

Will
09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
UFC middleweight Terry Martin is suing the Chicago Police Department, the mayor and the city of Chicago alleging that political corruption led to his arrest and criminal prosecution, according to a press release issued by his lawyer, Blake Horwitz, who specializes in police-misconduct cases.

In October 2005, Martin was pulled over by police for a minor traffic infraction while in a car with his girlfriend (a 911 operator for the city of Chicago). During the stop, Martin alleges he was the target of disrespectful comments, including racial slurs, and was criticized for being a professional fighter.

The following day, Martin alleges that he went to the police station to file a complaint, and while on his way into the building, the officers who pulled him over the day before stopped and arrested him. Additionally, he alleges they refused his request for a lawyer.

Martin was ultimately charged with fleeing and eluding when the officers alleged Martin returned to his car after the confrontation, prompting a one-mile car chase. However, another officer refuted those claims, and Martin was eventually found not guilty of the charges.

“Mr. Martin has taken a bold step to attack the entire system,” Martin’s lawyer Blake said in statement. “His lawsuit seeks to attack the system from the bottom up — getting at the root of the problem.“

I really don't know much more about this, but it certainly seems like Martin has a fairly strong case against the city. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if everything he says is true. I hate dealing with the police in Chicago, and Illinois as a whole, and think that they are some of the most incompetent I have ever dealt with.