PDA

View Full Version : Marley Estate Wins Royalty Challenge

Stunner
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
In a story that will try most readers' patience for witty repartee, a London High Court (how oddly appropriate) has left bassist Aston "Family Man" Barrett's lawsuit against Bob Marley's estate and Island Records for unpaid royalties "up in smoke."

Barrett, who played bass for The Wailers between 1969 and 1981, claimed that Marley promised him (and other members of the band) equal shares of the royalties from legendary albums like Natty Dread. While the allegations in the suit made no attempt to diminish Marley's legacy, Barrett claimed that he and his brother, drummer Carly Barrett, "literally created the sound of The Wailers." While Rita Marley praised the Barrett brothers' contributions, she characterized them as "backing session musicians."

Fatal to the Family Man's suit for unpaid royalties: a 1994 agreement in which Barrett gave up his right to future royalties. Well, Marley did always sing about reaping what you sow. I wonder if Barrett will enjoy the irony.

[Ed. Note - This is why all artists, particularly those at the early stages of their career, need to have agreements with their session players and bandmates completed upfront and in writing. Luckily for you, the E-I-C of Earvolution is an attorney and can help. Shoot me an email and I can help you protect yourself against issues like this in the future.

Source: Earvolution.com