PDA

View Full Version : Gervais 'to star on big screen'

OMEN
09-15-2007, 04:14 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42731000/jpg/_42731723_gervaisbbc203.jpg
Ricky Gervais' sitcoms have been cult hits in the US
Ricky Gervais is to star in and direct a film set in a world where everyone tells the truth, according to reports.

The comedian will take the lead role in This Side of the Truth, playing an actor who tells the first ever lie, trade paper Variety said.

It marks his first starring role on the big screen after cameos in A Night At The Museum and For Your Consideration.

The Office creator will share directing duties with co-writer Matt Robinson, Variety reported.

This Side of Truth is due to start filming next spring. According to Variety, his character will be a performer who tells the first lie and harnesses its power for personal gain.

Award nominations

"My character works in the film industry, where actors are really readers who tell completely factual stories," Gervais told Variety.

"My character's a loser who's about to lose his job... But once he lies and pretends he's found lost stories, he becomes the greatest storyteller in the world."

Meanwhile, Gervais is nominated for four prizes at this weekend's Emmy Awards, including best lead actor in a comedy series for his latest BBC sitcom Extras.

"It's great if you're an American to be nominated for an Emmy," Gervais told the Associated Press news agency ahead of the ceremony, which takes place on Sunday.

"So for a Brit, it's amazing. And, you know, to get four nominations - all of which I'm going to lose - so, I'm celebrating now. I'm showing off about them before I lose them on the night."

BBC