PDA

View Full Version : Hart Family Continue to Feud over Hart House

OMEN
05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Members of the Hart family continue to bicker publically over the future of the former family home, the famed "Hart House".

The house was sold because of a disagreement among family members following Stu Hart's death in 2003, and the current owner is planing to build condos on the property to fund a restoration of the house.

Bruce Hart opposes the idea and says, "I think my dad would be disgusted."

Diana Hart says, "Dad didn't want the house torn down, but he never wanted it designated as a historic site either." Diana says her father would have approved of the plan to build the condos.

The matter is being considered by the Calgary City Council and a decision has been delayed 30 days.

Calgary Sun Article
Harts split over condos
Stu Hart would be horrified to see a chokehold of condominiums built around his old mansion, said his son, after city council delayed a decision on the development by 30 days.

Bruce Hart said the late wrestling legend, who raised his family and trained dozens of famous grapplers in the southwest home, would have been fiercely opposed to the 16-unit condo project, which was set to be debated by council yesterday.

"I think my dad would be disgusted -- I spoke to him a number of times before he died and that was one of his fervent wishes, that the house and grounds be preserved as some sort of monument," said Hart. "This whole thing would have made him sick."

But his younger sister Diana claimed last night her dad would have approved the latest development plans.

"Dad didn't want the house torn down, but he never wanted it designated as a historic site either," said Diana. "If he was alive and 20 years younger, he would have done what the new owner is trying to do -- he'd have put 12 condos around the property for his family; he wanted it to progress and not digress into a 1905 home."

A disagreement between family members led to the Patterson Heights home being sold after Stu Hart's 2003 death, and the new owner has applied to build a ring of condos on the property to fund a $2.45-million restoration of the private house.

But an outcry by residents living near the property led the developer to reduce the number of condos from 21 to 16, requiring a 30-day delay before city council can debate the issue.

Others have criticized the condo scheme for failing to open the home to public viewing, with the plan calling for the mansion to remain a private luxury residence.

The property's new owner has agreed to allow historic designation of the home, protecting it for future generations, and has offered to sell it for market value if someone else wants to make the property a public museum.

Ald. Craig Burrows admits the 16-condo plan is as good as it will get for those opposed to development, but he's willing to ask the province to buy the property.

"From the applicant's point of view, anything less than 16, he'll tear the house down, and he has every right to and I can't stop him."

Council will debate the project June 19.

1Wrestling/Calgary Sun

bad_meetz_evil
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, its a shame seeing what has happened. Stu would probably want to see his family in peace, no more, no less.