PDA

View Full Version : Daren Hayes cleared of racism

OMEN
09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Police today formally cautioned Australian pop star Darren Hayes over an altercation at a London restaurant, but no charges were laid following allegations he racially abused a waiter.

After further investigation, police said no charges would be brought against the former Savage Garden frontman following the incident at Soho restaurant Busaba Eathai on July 22.

"I could never think, let alone utter a racist remark," Hayes said today in a statement posted on his official website.

"It's just not who I am.

"As a gay man, I find the notion of discriminating against a human being because of race, gender or sexuality to be abhorrent. It goes against everything I have stood for."

Hayes was arrested by Westminster police after voluntarily attending a police station last month.

He was released on bail pending further inquiries and was ordered to attend a Central London police station today.

Hayes confirmed that he had received a caution for the altercation.

He said he was pleased racism had been ruled out "by police recommendation" and he had not been charged with any crime.

"It was a horrible thing to be accused of and I want to thank all of my friends, family and fans for giving me the benefit of the doubt," he said.

"The experience has been frustrating and at times made me very sad ... I'm glad the truth is out there.

"I just want to concentrate on my music now."

Hayes made headlines previously when he criticised Prime Minister John Howard's stance on gay marriages.

The singer reportedly claimed his civil rights were infringed when his partner, Richard Cullen, had to apply for a visa to enter Australia instead of receiving a spouse visa.

AAP