PDA

View Full Version : Parking meters go green in eco-guerrilla day of action

OMEN
09-23-2007, 10:00 AM
SAN FRANCISCO - Parking spaces scattered across US cities were occupied by potted trees, expanses of sod, and lawn furniture in an effort to transform asphalt into green space -- until the meter ran out.
The organizers called it Park(ing) Day, stretching from San Francisco to forty US cities and ten overseas.
"The idea is to think about how we can re-engage in public space and forge new opportunities to gather and relax in urban settings," Matthew Shaffer, of the Trust for Public Land, told AFP.

"It turns out, at least in San Francisco, by putting a coin in the parking meter, you are leasing that space for any legal purpose."

What began as a seizure of the San Francisco mayor's parking space in 2005 as a playful stunt to test th

e use of public space has grown into an organized effort to expand urban parkland.

At least fifty parking spaces in the city were "leased" Friday for themed mini-parks ranging from a "muscle plaza" built by the owners of a sex shop specializing in leather gear to an urban agriculture park with a chicken run.

Since the event received no official permit, park builders had to comply with the terms of the lease. Once the time ran out on the meters, the parks were disassembled and returned to their automobile tenants.

AFP

Jodes
09-23-2007, 05:19 PM
well was a good idea anyways IMO.

JohnCenaFan28
09-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see more green spaces in American cities. I have plenty in Trinidad but I've seen America, it doesn't have many...:no: