PDA

View Full Version : U. City boy enters homecoming queen contest — and wins

OMEN
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
University City — When the University City High School homecoming king and queen accept their crowns tonight, don't expect a slow dance.

Senior Aaron Zaggy is the queen. And senior Marcel Coleman is the king.

Zaggy, an A-student and athlete, entered the contest as a prank and had the support of his parents and the School Board when he won the title Friday.

"It's just for fun," Zaggy said. "I didn't expect to win."

His mother, Mary Ann Zaggy, said her son wanted to surprise his steady girlfriend at the dance tonight when the honor is formally bestowed.

"It's no big deal," said Coleman, the homecoming king, although he was unsure how the traditional king-queen dance would play out.

The school body voted for Zaggy, but he may have upset some students who consider the homecoming court no laughing matter.

Brittany McNairy, 18, also ran for homecoming queen. And although the dance's theme is "Our Night in the Limelight," she feels robbed of her chance.

"I was mad," she said. "I don't think he should have run. A lot of senior girls were mad."

District officials acknowledged that the twosome made an unusual pair as king and queen but said there was a lesson to be learned.

"This situation also presents a life lesson of sorts by demonstrating the importance of voting and knowing that one's actions at the ballot box can have a lasting impact," the board said in a statement.

McNairy doesn't seem to be enjoying the lesson.

"The queen should be a girl, and king should be a dude," she said.

STL Today

Jodes
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
LOL that is funny that he actually won.