PDA

View Full Version : Nick Dinsmore Reveals Why His Heel Turn Was Scrapped, Reason For "super Eugene"

Black Widow
10-07-2007, 05:49 PM
"U-GENE" NICK DINSMORE REVEALS WHY HIS HEEL TURN WAS SCRAPPED, REASON FOR "SUPER EUGENE" AND THE HAIRCUT, PLUS MORE

By WorldWrestlingInsanity.com

The 87th edition of JG’s Radio Free Insanity is on the air and available right now at WorldWrestlingInsanity.com (Flash and MP3 download) This week's guest is former WWF Superstar Nick "U-Gene" Dinsmore in his most in-depth post-WWE shoot yet.

James Guttman starts the show by explaining that this week's guest is a very special one. Not only because of the character he played, but because of how different it was from his previous persona. Nick Dinsmore played "Eugene" in WWE for about three years, but before that he did so much more. As "Mr. Wrestling" in Ohio Valley Wrestling, Nick was known for his technical skills and the matches he had with the other "OVW Originals" (Rob Conway, The Bashams). JG has had Rob and Doug on the show and now is happy to welcome Nick to RFI for a straight forward shoot that covers all the bases of his career.

Nick's full interview on ClubWWI.com lasted for 38 minutes. The man formerly known as "Eugene" Nick Dinsmore spoke about a ton of topics including being saved by Hulk Hogan, tagging with the Rock, his relationship with William Regal, who came up with "Super Eugene," Danny Davis, Owen Hart, Chris Benoit's legacy, the OVW Originals, learning from Eric Bischoff, The British Bulldogs, the reason for his WWE release, how he knew he's be getting his haircut, his brief time with WCW, Rob Conway, The Bashams, his abandoned heel turn, and so much more.

Nick Dinsmore is just one of over 85 stars on ClubWWI.com. Among the other interviews available on ClubWWI.com are Sid Vicious, Eric Bischoff, Jerry Lawler, Vince Russo, John Heidenreich, Christian Cage, Samoa Joe, Kevin Nash, Diamond Dallas Page, La Resistance, The Steiner Brothers, AJ Styles, Demolition, Paul Bearer, Bobby Heenan, Ted DiBiase, Road Warrior Animal, The Iron Sheik, Rhino, Tito Santana, Earl Hebner, Charlie Haas, Christy Hemme, Chris Daniels, and many more. Plus audio shows from D-Lo Brown, Bull Buchanan, Kevin Kelly, Orlando Jordan, and Dr. Tom Prichard.

Guttman goes on to mention that there will be another special interview tomorrow (No Mercy Sunday) on ClubWWI.com. He's not sure if any of it will be included on next week's Radio Free Insanity, so urges Club members to check it out. From there, he talks about TNA's first two hour show.

The Sting-Angle segments totaled seven minutes altogether. James says that this speaks volumes for TNA's problems. It felt like it had to have been twenty minutes total, but it was less than ten. The fact that it felt so long shows how tedious it all seemed. Plus, each one lasted about a minute a piece. By showing quick segments over and over, rather than one big ten minute piece or two five minute ones, TNA makes it seem much longer than it needs to be. This is just the start of their problems, though, as JG looks at the show as a whole and comments on what went wrong (and the one thing that went right.)

From there, he cues up the shoot with Nick "U-Gene" Dinsmore.

James Guttman welcomes Nick Dinsmore to the show. He says it's like when the Missing Link or Kamala was on Radio Free Insanity, because most fans don't know what he sounds like normally. Dinsmore laughs and replies:

"It's good in some respects but in some respects…I get kinda nervous because I haven't spoke as Nick Dinsmore since early 2004 and doing an interview just as Nick Dinsmore sometimes I forget exactly what I'm supposed to say. And not just supposed to make funny faces and lick my lips. So it's exciting but at the same time a bit nervous so I'll apologize for any nervousness."

- ClubWWI.com break -

In progress, Nick is talking about Jim Cornette and the booking he did for him in OVW. Dinsmore speaks highly of Jim and says it's a shame that he's not in WWE's system. James mentions that Cornette is in TNA now and asks Dinsmore if that's an option for him in the future. He answers:

"Yeah. I'd be very interested in going to TNA. I've watched their program a bunch over the past year and now that they're going to two hours, I feel like it's going to give them a chance to expand upon the talent that they have on their roster. Yeah. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to have any kind of discussion with them or talk to them in any way, to hopefully work for TNA."

James brings up two moments from Dinsmore's final days in WWE. One in particular was Eugene's heel turn on Hacksaw Jim Duggan. It seemed strange that he went bad but then went right back to being a "good guy" again. Guttman asks if he expected to be a heel at that point or if it was just done to give his character more depth. Nick says that "sometimes WWE just does things to see how people react." When they did that turn, people didn't react. So they changed directions. It was "an attempt that didn't pan out."

Guttman then asks about the famous haircut he got at the hands of Vince McMahon. Dinsmore says that he knew it was coming. Vince had the hair match at WrestleMania and prior to any hair match, someone else needs to get cut. He figured it would have to be a sympathetic baby face and realized it would be either him or Shawn Michaels. Michaels, he knew, was too far up on the roster so he sensed it was coming.

"I was always a company man and it didn't bother me. I didn't ask for it. I didn't say no either."

He ultimately enjoyed it because it gave him a new look and got him some TV time. On the same subject, Guttman asks about "Super Eugene." Nick says that everyone asks about when he was approached by creative about things. They didn't approach him on this, he approached them. It was his idea so that he could get a new action figure. He had "Nightmare" Danny Davis's old cape in his closet for a while and was looking at it one day. He approached WWE with the idea and they made the rest of the outfit. JG says that it seems like most of Dinsmore's gimmicks came directly from him. Nick speaks about why this is important and wrestlers who were successful doing the same thing. From there, Nick talks very openly about his WWE release and how the Wellness policy played a part in it. He gives details on what happened and the discusses the chances of a return.

You can hear this for yourself right now free on WorldWrestlingInsanity.com. Radio Free Insanity is always available each and every week free of charge right on the site.

Don’t forget, U-Gene's full shoot interview on ClubWWI.com lasted for 38 minutes. The man formerly known as "Eugene" Nick Dinsmore spoke about a ton of topics including being saved by Hulk Hogan, tagging with the Rock, his relationship with William Regal, who came up with "Super Eugene," Danny Davis, Owen Hart, Chris Benoit's legacy, the OVW Originals, learning from Eric Bischoff, The British Bulldogs, the reason for his WWE release, how he knew he's be getting his haircut, his brief time with WCW, Rob Conway, The Bashams, his abandoned heel turn, and so much more.

Nick Dinsmore is just one of over 85 stars on ClubWWI.com. Among the other interviews available on ClubWWI.com are Sid Vicious, Eric Bischoff, Jerry Lawler, Vince Russo, John Heidenreich, Christian Cage, Samoa Joe, Kevin Nash, Diamond Dallas Page, La Resistance, The Steiner Brothers, AJ Styles, Demolition, Paul Bearer, Bobby Heenan, Ted DiBiase, Road Warrior Animal, The Iron Sheik, Rhino, Tito Santana, Earl Hebner, Charlie Haas, Christy Hemme, Chris Daniels, and many more. Plus audio shows from D-Lo Brown, Bull Buchanan, Kevin Kelly, Orlando Jordan, and Dr. Tom Prichard. James Guttman's first book, World Wrestling Insanity, is available at Amazon or your local book stores.

- pwinsider.com

JohnCenaFan28
10-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Good interview. I guess that all of Eugene's gimmicks were from the man himself and not WWE Creative...:think:

Ill Will
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Good interview. I guess that all of Eugene's gimmicks were from the man himself and not WWE Creative...:think:What part of the interview suggests that? Eugene was a character he played. It was just a gimmick. It had nothing to do with him. The reason he was hesitant in how to respond at the beginning of this interview is because he has literally been acting like a retard for the past 4 years, and that's not something that can easily be switched off.

As a person, I feel really sorry for Nick Dinsmore. WWE completely destroyed his career and stripped him of what little credibility he had as a wrestler. I think he's become the posterboy of talented wrestlers that WWE has completely ruined with gimmicks. I'm not suggesting he'll never have success in TNA or somewhere else, but I think it will just be 10 times harder for him to make a real connection with fans after being identified as a mentally challenged superhero.

wcwnitro2000
10-13-2007, 12:06 PM
interview looks great, i hope i can get it somehow