PDA

View Full Version : Edna star Humphries collects CBE

OMEN
10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44168000/jpg/_44168659_humphries_ap203300.jpg
Humphries forgot to ask the Queen if a Knighthood was on its way
Barry Humphries, the creator of Dame Edna Everage, has been made a CBE by the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

The Australian entertainer did not appear as his comic alter-ego, and explained that "Dame Edna is bolder and less politically correct than me".

Humphries, who as Dame Edna introduced the Queen as "the jubilee girl" during her celebrations in 2002, called his honour a "highlight".

Author Barbara Taylor Bradford was made an OBE at the ceremony.

Humphries, who was dressed in a top hat and tails for the investiture ceremony, said: "I think people liked it when [Dame Edna] called the Queen the jubilee girl. It caught on."

'Crowning glory'

And asked if he was carrying his creation's trademark spectacles in his pocket, Humphries said: "I don't. They wouldn't fit."

The 73-year-old was also quizzed about another of his alter egos, foul-mouthed Australian cultural attache Sir Les Paterson.

"Les wasn't mentioned either. He's already a knight but I'm not sure it's legal."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44168000/jpg/_44168660_dameedna_getty203.jpg
Dame Edna started life as a Melbourne housewife

Humphries, who is marking 50 years in showbusiness, said it was "disconcerting" to take part in the ceremony with his back to the audience.

"Someone else who was getting a CBE said I suppose this is the end of the road. I thought perhaps I should ask the Queen if she had any future plans for me, but I forgot," said the star.

Dame Edna, who has fronted various TV chat shows, is best known for he catchphrase "hello possums!" and her silent sidekick Madge Allsop.

Leeds-born Taylor Bradford said her honour was the "crowning glory" of her career and added that it was "a wonderful ceremony".

Her novel A Woman of Substance became a worldwide best-seller, and she has sold in excess of 75 million books.

BBC