PDA

View Full Version : Bob to fill in missing piece

OMEN
10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
http://images.supersport.co.za/SkinstadBob070922InactionGLbg.jpg
Springbok coach Jake White is expected on Friday to fill in the final missing piece to the jigsaw by naming Bob Skinstad as his loose-forward reserve for Sunday’s World Cup semi-final against Argentina at Stade de France.

In so doing, White will be signalling his intent to avoid tying himself down to an all-out physical confrontation with Argentina, with Skinstad’s presence on the bench giving him the option of tackling the Pumas with the flair that may be the one thing that is missing from their otherwise impressive armoury.

White has spent the week mulling over his options, and even quite late in the week he was still undecided about whether he should go for Skinstad or Wikus van Heerden.

The latter started most of the pool games, and was good against England when he played as the No 6 flank ahead of the suspended Schalk Burger.

However, there have been times when the Bok back-row has looked a little one-dimensional, which is why the skill and flair of Skinstad had to be considered.

The Boks have sometimes struggled to control the ball at No 8, and no-one does this better than Skinstad.

Should the Boks be trailing and need to chase the game with 20 minutes to go, he is the perfect player to come onto the field.

The rest of the team, that will be announced at noon, will be as anticipated, with just the one change to the starting lineup that beat Fiji 37-20 in the semifinal in Marseille last Sunday. CJ van der Linde is now fully recovered from his leg injury and will slot in at tighthead prop in place of Jannie du Plessis.

The Free Stater, who flew to France last week as a replacement for the injured BJ Botha, will slot in on the bench for Gurthro Steenkamp. This will be so that he Van der Linde can switch to loosehead when Os du Randt leaves the field in the second half.

BEST CAPTAIN

Meanwhile, Skinstad has described skipper John Smit as the best captain he has ever played under or encountered during his career as a top player.

“I think John is the best captain I have seen or have ever played with,” said Skinstad as he looked back on his comeback year in South African rugby, which included being part of a Sharks team that, under the captaincy of Smit, became the first local team to top the Super 14 log.

“There is a very special relationship between John and Jake, and I think it rubs off on the team. They work well together, there is a good understanding between them and they make a great partnership.

“I think my role, and it's been quite clear from the beginning, is that if I can back up John, if I can take one ounce of pressure off his shoulders, then I've done my job. I have a good relationship with some of the younger guys. We're trying to form close-knit, confident, expressive and enthusiastic players.”

Probable Springbok team: Percy Montgomery, JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Francois Steyn, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Fourie du Preez, Danie Rossouw, Juan Smith, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, CJ van der Linde, John Smit (captain), Os du Randt.

Reserves: Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Johann Muller, Bob Skinstad, Ruan Pienaar, Wynand Olivier, André Pretorius.

Supersport ZA