PDA

View Full Version : Tank Johnson can practice Friday

OMEN
10-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Suspended defensive tackle still can't play for Dallas
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Suspended defensive tackle Tank Johnson will be allowed to practice starting Friday, which will be his first team session with the Dallas Cowboys since they signed him last month.

Johnson still has two games left on his eight-game NFL suspension for violating probation on a gun charge. Unless the suspension is reduced by Commissioner Roger Goodell, Johnson won't be eligible to play until the Cowboys play at the New York Giants on Nov. 11.

"It will be good to get him out on the field and get him in the meeting room too," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "All I know is he's going to practice. I don't know when he's going to be play, or when he'll be able to play."

Johnson, who was released by the Chicago Bears after his suspension, signed with the Cowboys last month. The Bears let him go after he was picked up for speeding at 3:30 a.m. shortly after he was suspended.

He has been able to work out individually at Valley Ranch and meet with the team's player assistance staff, headed by Calvin Hill. Until now, Johnson hasn't been able to work out with the team or work with the coaching staff.

"He's a gregarious kind of guy," Phillips said. "He's ready to play, wants to play and seems excited about it. He's a pretty personable guy, so it's all positives as far as I'm concerned."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell had given Johnson permission to practice because the Cowboys have a bye week next week and won't practice much. Aiello emphasized that the suspension had not yet been lifted officially.

Johnson wasn't in the locker room when it was open to reporters Thursday before practice.

Associated Press.