PDA

View Full Version : Hucknall Simply had enough

OMEN
10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
London - British soul band Simply Red are to split up after 25 years in the music business, its front man Mick Hucknall said on Wednesday.

The band, named after singer Mick Hucknall's beloved Manchester United football club, the colour of his hair and their political leanings, shot to fame with hits like Holding Back The Years, If You Don't Know Me By Now and Fairground.

But after selling more than 50 million albums, Hucknall, 47, said it was time to call it a day.

"I think that 25 years is long enough," he told Gold Radio in an interview to be broadcast on Saturday.

"There will be an end to Simply Red. I've kind of decided that the 25 years is going to be enough, so I intend that the 2009 will be the last Simply Red tour," he added.

Tribute album

Hucknall, who became a father in June, has recently recorded an album in tribute to blues and R and B artist Bobby Bland and said he wanted to explore the genre further - but does not think it is possible with Simply Red.

"It's a solo project and I've really enjoyed it so much that I feel the time has come now to just put a book-end to the story and the album Stay will be the last Simply Red studio album," he added.

"The song The World And You Tonight (released last month) will be the last Simply Red single release. I feel good with that, I feel very comfortable with that.

"It's not a very big deal but I can't change the music under the name of Simply Red and the second half of the Stay album has an edgier feel and I want to explore that side more."

AFP