PDA

View Full Version : Area Police To Enforce Mask Ban On Halloween

Jodes
10-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Brevard robberies revive 1951 law used against KKK

Anti-mask campaign. Cocoa police are asking businesses to post a flier informing people about the law against wearing a mask in public by people 16 or older. Michael R. Brown, FLORIDA TODAY

Language of the law
State anti-mask and hood laws were enacted in 1951 as part of a package of anti-Ku Klux Klan legislation.
There are four sections of Chapter 876 about wearing masks, with the first three being cited by the Cocoa Police Department in its enhanced enforcement.

Mask warning. Edgar Serrano, manager of the BP store in Cocoa on U.S. 1, posts the flier distributed by police. Michael R. Brown, FLORIDA TODAY

As Halloween nears, police departments throughout Brevard County are dusting off a law regulating the use of masks by adults that was drafted in 1951 in part to combat Ku Klux Klan members.

According to sections of the Florida statute titled "Criminal Anarchy, Treason and Other Crimes Against Public Order," wearing a mask in public if you are 16 or older is a misdemeanor and makes the wearer subject to arrest.

In Cocoa, where masked culprits have robbed several hotels recently, enforcing the law is a matter of public safety -- not a plan to rid Halloween of its spooky fun, police say.

On Tuesday, the department's Criminal Investigations Unit issued a community alert reminding business owners and managers of the law on masks and asking that they post an attached flier -- bearing images of both the Cocoa police badge and the comedy and tragedy drama masks -- that informs customers of the law and asks that they remove "any type of mask" before entering.

"If you refuse to do so," the poster reads, "9-1-1 will be alerted."

A simplified flier, minus the language about the law, was sent out Wednesday.

"The purpose is for our businesses to be aware of the law," Cocoa police Detective Barbara Matthews said. "And we want bad guys to know that if a business owner sees them walk in with a mask, chances are they will call 9-1-1 on them."

Cocoa police officers are not going to be running around neighborhoods arresting children in masks, she said.

"Our concern is protecting our citizens. With masks so readily available, our bad guys are using them," Matthews said.

That's all right with Monique McGrath, owner of Famous Costume Shack on Merritt Island.

"I feel that's a fair thing," she said. "I don't think a business owner would want people coming in with a mask. I've been robbed before like that."

Cocoa resident Joe Riddle agreed.

"Because of what's going on in the community -- people doing so many foolish things -- adults should remove them to be on the safe side," he said. "If I owned a business, I'd have to be a cautious person, too. It shouldn't be a big deal. You can put the mask on back outside and walk away."

Masked people may have a difficult time countywide.

Police in Palm Bay are following Cocoa's lead and warning business owners and store workers to be mindful of anyone wearing masks around their businesses.

"Our patrol officers are issuing alerts to businesses as well," said Yvonne Martinez, spokeswoman for the Palm Bay Police Department.

Fliers also were spotted Wednesday at businesses on Merritt Island and in Cape Canaveral.

Melbourne police said no such enforcement effort was planned but that they will be conducting extra patrols.

Titusville police Lt. Todd Hutchinson said police are not asking businesses to put up signs, but that officers work with businesses and encourage merchants to call if they see people with masks.

Cocoa's action comes on the heels of a busy stretch for police. In the last four months, the city has had 30 armed robberies, many of them by masked suspects, Matthews said. Four hotel robberies occurred within the last few weeks by men who wore masks or concealed their faces.

Edgar Serrano, manager of the BP station on U.S. 1 and Peachtree Street in Cocoa, said he appreciates the police department's effort. While his station has not been robbed in the five years he has been there, he has had friends at other stores robbed by men in masks.

"When something is coming from the Cocoa Police Department, they take it seriously, like, 'OK, someone is going to be watching,' " he said.

He has had no trouble asking people to take off their masks.

"Teenagers like to have fun around Halloween," Serrano said. "For the last two days, they came by, but they take their masks off when we ask them."

i swear my state always has to ruin everything for the kids :no: