PDA

View Full Version : My Take On The Status of The UFC

BDFW
10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Next Big Stars

Tyson Griffin – It seems that every fight this guy is in, it automatically is a great fight. Three great fights against Frank Edgar (UFC 67), Clay Guida (UFC 72) and Thiago Tavares (UFC 76). This young man who is only 23 years old and holds a professional record of 10-1 is someone to look out for in the Lightweight division. One or Two more wins for Tyson Griffin and he will be knocking on Dana White’s door for a title shot. Also when he trains at Xtreme Couture with the UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and has Randy in his corner when he fights, that would be doing the world of good for him.

George St. Pierre - GSP has been in the UFC for a while but he is still only at a young age. He has already had a title reign and I expecting him to have another one which is much longer. At only 26 years old this guy could be one of the best welterweights in the world and they way he goes about his stuff inside the octagon makes you love him. GSP might be a champion again in his next fight, hopefully he is.

Forrest Griffin – From what I know, no relation to Tyson Griffin but Forrest Griffin is the real deal and he isn’t very old, he is only 28 years old. Since winning The Ultimate Fighter 1 in a grueling match against Stephan Bonnar, Forrest has had only one hiccup. He is 6-2 in the UFC but one lost is a bit controversial as many believed he beat Tito Ortiz at UFC 59. After a reality check from Keith Jardine at UFC 66, he has looked better than ever and seems study on his opponents more. He had one of the biggest shocks of 2007 when he beat Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (who is regarded as the top light heavyweight in the world) and after that win he must be in contention for a shot at the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship.

Nate Diaz – This young man who is at a tender age of 22, comes from a great MMA family and has an older brother who has been there before. Nate Diaz finished every fight in TUF and zero fights he was in went to the judges. He has insanely good Jiu-Jitsu skills and his stand up game is also good. With his older brother Nick helping him along the way and teaching him a thing or two, Nate will be at the top of the UFC ladder soon and will be fighting for a championship, mark my words, this young man has an incredible amount of potential.

Surprise Packets

Houston Alexander – This man has jumped out of nowhere and beaten two great Light Heavyweights in the UFC. At UFC 71 he defeated Kieth Jardine who maybe underestimated Alexander, Houston knocked him out in 48 seconds. He backed up that win with a win against Alessio Sakara. This guy has great takedown defense, amazing punching power and his ground n’ pound is incredible. He is yet to be taken to the ground so it is unknown how well he would go if someone was able to control him from the ground. Two massive wins for him and he would go in a big favorite for his next fight against Thiago Silva.

Michael Bisping – 28 years old, 14-0 record are wondering why he isn’t in the future category, well I believe Micheal Bisping is a surprise packet. He hasn’t faced any of the top Light Heavyweights in the UFC and needs a lot of work on his ground game. If he can work on his ground game and tweak his stand up a bit, I think he could be a big threat. The way he is now I think he will wont be a big scare for the top Light Heavyweight division but if he is able to work on a few things he will be imo. When he trains with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson he is only going to get better so the future is unknown for Michael Bisping.

On The Way Out

Mirko Cro Cop – Since coming to the UFC he hasn’t looked half as good as he did when he was fighting in PRIDE. 1-2 agianst the likes of Eddie Sanchez, Gabriel Gonzaga and Chieck Kongo is terrible for someone as good as Cro Cop. His next fight is super important, win it and you get back on to your feet, lose it and you might be out of the UFC. His next opponent will have to look out for Cro Cop because the man has everything to fight for and his UFC future will be on the line.

Chuck Liddell – At the end of last year if I told you that Chuck Liddell’s Future was in trouble you would of called me crazy but 2007 hasn’t been a great year for the IceMan. First of he lost his title against Quinton “Rampaage” Jackson at UFC 71 in a fight where he got knocked out. Secondly he fought Keith Jardine and was a massive favorite to win but he didn’t look the same person and Jardine really beat Liddell in his strongest point which is the stand up. Like Mirko Cro Cop, Liddell’s next fight is super important. Liddell porbably wouldn’t be out of the UFC if he lost his next fight because he is the poster boy for the UFC but it would be a long time before he would ever get a title shot. Liddell is 38 years old so he might retir if he loses his next UFC fight.

Thoughts???