PDA

View Full Version : MLB: Dodgers' Little says 'personal' reasons prompt resignation

XXKSXX
10-31-2007, 01:17 AM
All the talk was about Joe Torre managing the Los Angeles Dodgers. Only problem was Grady Little was still the manager.

That's not a problem anymore. Little announced on Tuesday night that he was resigning as manager.

During a conference call, Little responded to reports of ill will between himself and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti.

"Ned and I have been in constant communication since the end of the season and decided mutually that this was the best move for the Dodgers organization to take," Little said.

Colletti said, "I wanted Grady Little back. … I encouraged him to think it through."

The general manager said that he knew resignation was on Little's mind at the end of the season.

When asked if rumors of Torre taking over had an influence on his decision, Little replied, "None whatsoever."

"I have my personal reasons," he said.

Little had one year remaining on his contract with a club option for a second year.

Little, the Dodgers' skipper the past two seasons, managed the Boston Red Sox in 2002-03 before being fired despite leading the team to the American League Championship Series in 2003.

The Dodgers had baseball's best record in July but faded down the stretch to finish with an 82-80 record, good for fourth place in the NL West.

Clubhouse unrest surfaced between veterans and young players during the season's final two weeks, when the Dodgers lost seven straight games to the Colorado Rockies while falling out of contention.

Little's resignation comes amid multiple media reports that Torre will be named the Dodgers' next manager. The Los Angeles Times reported on Tuesday that the Dodgers and the former Yanks manager had agreed to terms of a contract but were resolving issues related to the coaching staff and player personnel moves.

It has been widley reported that Torre would bring his former bench coach, Don Mattingly, with him to Los Angeles. In a conference call on Tuesday, the former Yankees great did not deny or confirm a prospective move to L.A.

Colletti would not confirm whether Torre was the leading candidate to take over.

"We've talked to other people a little bit to gauge their level of interest because talking to Grady at the end of the season I wasn't sure he was coming back," he said.

When pressed to name the candidates, Colletti said, "We'll talk about where we go from here at a later date."

As for reports that the Dodgers were negotiating with Torre, Colletti said, "That's not accurate."

ESPN/AP

Will
11-01-2007, 12:56 AM
The dodgers have been very disrespectful to Little throughout this whole thing so I'm not surprised he quit. I would have quit too if i was in his position.