PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown vs. RAW 2008 = Worst Game Ever!

Flair Country
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
So I don't know how many people here have had the chance to play this game yet, but as a fan of the 2007 edition I was really looking forward to this game. I had watched trailers and saw that the graphics seemed to be a little bit better than '07 and that only fueled the fire of me wanting the game.

To make a long story short...I kept the game for a total of 4 days and traded it in to the same place that I purchased it, for half of what I paid. This game is absolutely horrible!! Here are a few reasons why I think this game is so bad.

1) The controls are not only the worst that I've ever seen in a wrestling game but could potentially be the worst in any game period.

2) The commentary is the exact same from last year, except JBL's voice is dubbed over Tazz's lines on the Smackdown side. This is my mind shows zero commitment from THQ to improve this game.

3) None of the glitches that were found in the '07 version were fixed in '08.

4) The roster is complete shit! How are you going to have Cryme Time in the game and not have the longest reigning Tag Team Champions in Smackdown history, London & Kendrick, in there? No Cruiserweight Champion Jamie Noble in there either huh? This is probably the worst roster in the history of the Smackdown series.

5) The "Struggle Submission" system is not only frustrating but it's very inconsistant. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to breaking out of submissions or locking one in, it's all based on stupid luck. This was a very poor addition to the game and should be taken out immediately!

There are a few other reasons but I think you get my point. Don't make the same mistake that I made and waste $60 on this garbage. Go down to your local Blockbuster and rent it for a week for $5. It's a much better deal than keeping for less time and losing $30 like I did.

Bad Boy
11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
well, i get the games free of cost, but i certainly have heard that its a bad game... but I might get it, just for the sake of playin it...

Big Evil
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I understand what your saying, and I'm sure there is more that has been missed. Hopefully, once the TNA video game comes out, THQ and Yukes will realize they need to step up their game, cuz I'll tell you right now that game is gonna be in my collection when it comes out.

J-man
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
im gonna rent it and then return 06 for it lol

thats what I've been doing since Smackdown Here Comes the Pain!

buzzsaw89
11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I actually don't mind the game. Yes the season mode could be improved but the other game modes are ok.

JohnCenaFan28
11-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm still gonna get it for Christmas, because I just want to play the game regardless of how other people rate it. I like to play games first then say if it's trash or not...

Kage
11-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Its ok. Once you get used to the controls. Season mode has a ton of glitches, and the roster just plain sucks, but other than that its tolerable.

Vance
11-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah,i absolutely hate the fuckin controls on this game cause im playing Jeff hardy in 24/7 mode and i can't do his finisher cause i don't know what the fuck to press (in the old games it used to be square) but fuck knows what it is now,but on a side note the 24/7 mode & tournament modes are cool,oh yeah the commentators annoy the fuck out of me JBL sounds like a broken record.

Ill Will
11-27-2007, 06:35 AM
All wrestling video games suck IMO. Except for ECW's Hardcore Revolution on Playstation (that's right, the ancient PS One), I've never played a wrestling game that I found entertaining. It just seems kind of a waste of time to play a video game based on something that's already fake.

)85(
11-27-2007, 09:17 AM
All wrestling video games suck IMO. Except for ECW's Hardcore Revolution on Playstation (that's right, the ancient PS One), I've never played a wrestling game that I found entertaining. It just seems kind of a waste of time to play a video game based on something that's already fake.

have you played Rachet and Clank? Halo? Unreal Tournament? Mario? Mario Kart? etc.

Lady DeathStrike
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM
oh no!! i really wanted this for christmas... I like to get games that me and my partner can play together,

so any other suggestions if this one is really that bad

Bad Boy
11-28-2007, 04:19 PM
well i have had this game around 24 hours, and I have to say it isnt the worst... it's just bad in some parts... mainly the 24/7 mode... I have to say it's the worst season mode of all SD games... with terrible commentary, horrific cut-scenes, and alot of mix ups... the 24/7 mode is bad, but im still playin it only cuz of the gameplay which is quite fun...

Ill Will
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
have you played Rachet and Clank? Halo? Unreal Tournament? Mario? Mario Kart? etc.Yes to all of those except for "Rachet and Clank". Your point?

Flair Country
11-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Yes to all of those except for "Rachet and Clank". Your point?

I'm assuming that he meant that all of the afore mentioned games aren't based off of reality. That would pertain to your comment that it is a waste of time to play a game that is based off of something fake. So he was trying to relate the fact that you have played games based in fiction that would negate your previous statement of those games being a waste of time.

Just a hunch though. :popcorn:

)85(
11-29-2007, 12:36 AM

Yes to all of those except for "Rachet and Clank". Your point?

I'm assuming that he meant that all of the afore mentioned games aren't based off of reality. That would pertain to your comment that it is a waste of time to play a game that is based off of something fake. So he was trying to relate the fact that you have played games based in fiction that would negate your previous statement of those games being a waste of time.

Just a hunch though. :popcorn:

what he said. :haha: he hit my point with a red shell. AKA he hit the nail on the head....about my point.

Ill Will
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
In my perception, there's a pretty big difference (and by "pretty big difference", I mean unfathomable gap) between wrestling video games and the others listed. Halo, UT, Mario, etc, are based on virtual worlds created specifically for video game consoles, with all the considerations that would entitle. The fakeness of said games is still apparent, but it is contained solely within those video games. There is not some separate (fictional) weekly TV show that Halo is based off of, as there is for wrestling video games.

To me, watching pro wrestling is already like playing a video game. Making a video game based on another fictional realm just doesn't appeal to me. I've got the same sentiment for video games based on movies. Basically what I'm saying is that I can only suspend my disbelief to a certain extent, and not the extent warranted to enjoy wrestling video games.

JohnCenaFan28
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
^ I see your point.

)85(
11-30-2007, 02:04 AM
In my perception, there's a pretty big difference (and by "pretty big difference", I mean unfathomable gap) between wrestling video games and the others listed. Halo, UT, Mario, etc, are based on virtual worlds created specifically for video game consoles, with all the considerations that would entitle. The fakeness of said games is still apparent, but it is contained solely within those video games. There is not some separate (fictional) weekly TV show that Halo is based off of, as there is for wrestling video games.

To me, watching pro wrestling is already like playing a video game. Making a video game based on another fictional realm just doesn't appeal to me. I've got the same sentiment for video games based on movies. Basically what I'm saying is that I can only suspend my disbelief to a certain extent, and not the extent warranted to enjoy wrestling video games.

oh ok.

Flair Country
11-30-2007, 05:02 AM

oh ok.

rofl!

)85(
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
rofl!

:thud: i didn't know what else to type.

Flair Country
11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
:thud: i didn't know what else to type.

Yeah you can get away with awesome posts like that in rants. :)

The Yiz
03-18-2008, 03:43 PM
i didnt bother finishing SVR 08 it was really that bad, and if you knew me, its really hard for me not to finish a game

Black Widow
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
the entrances are extremley glitched every entrance is shakey.. thq have forgotten what quality is while they where to busy making it for ps3 and xbox

Flair Country
03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow I'm really glad that someone brought this thread back, it makes me remember just how horrible this game was. It was so bad that it was laughable!

Bad Boy
03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
well, this is the first SvR game that I havent touched after playing once... the others atleast for time pass i used to play again, but this aint like the earlier one..

and yeah, from the little i remember, this game was a major let down... hope THQ dont fuck up the next one, but now im lookin forward to the TNA game...

JohnCenaFan28
03-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, after playing the season mode and me winning constant title shots then never being able to cash them in I got tired of it and also the GM Mode is crazy but somewhat entertaining other than that... it's not really fun anymore oh and the entrances are mostly crap and if someone other than the assigned champions get titles the belts glitch with the wrestler's body...

Edgehead82593
05-12-2008, 12:04 AM
The controls and season\24 7 mode are my only problems