PDA

View Full Version : Thousands attend Taylor funeral

OMEN
12-04-2007, 09:11 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/football/nfl/12/03/bc.fbn.redskins.taylors.ap/p1_funeral.jpg
Sean Taylor's casket is wheeled into the Pharmed Arena at Florida International University.
MIAMI (AP) -- The little girl entered the big gymnasium in a stroller, asleep and oblivious to the 3,000 people on hand to pay last respects to her father, Sean Taylor.

Later, 18-month-old Jackie Taylor was wide awake and running wind sprints past the huge flower arrangements in front of the stage. Wearing a red dress, she stood and applauded with the rest of the audience following the introduction of her father's team, the Washington Redskins. She waved a milk bottle, sucked on a pacifier and went up and down the front row hugging grieving relatives.

There were plenty of tears at Taylor's three-hour funeral Monday, but also ripples of laughter and words of inspiration.

"Let me hear you scream!" shouted the Rev. Jesse Jackson, urging the audience to cheer Taylor's memory. "One more time! This is a celebration!"

The 24-year-old Taylor died last Tuesday, barely 24 hours after he was shot in the bedroom of his home a few miles from where he grew up. Police say he was a victim of a botched burglary, and four young men have been charged with unpremeditated murder. A lawyer for one suspect said a fifth suspect was being sought.

"It's times like this that all of us struggle to find meaning in life," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told mourners.

"Today my heart is broken," said LaVar Arrington, wiping away tears as he recalled his two years as Taylor's teammate with the Redskins. "I'll get through it. We'll all get through it."

The funeral sought closure through prayers, tributes and gospel music. One singer expended so much emotion she collapsed into a chair upon leaving the stage and was carried away in it as the service continued.

Eulogies by family, friends and dignitaries praised Taylor's baby face, shy smile, kindness, warmth, faith and extraordinary athletic skills.

"Many times God must have looked down and said, 'Man, I made a great football player,"' Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said.

Associated Press.