PDA

View Full Version : WWE wrestling question

JohnCenaFan28
12-10-2007, 04:39 AM
I was wondering, how much of it is fake? I know the match endings are fake(most of the time) and the punches are sometimes fake, but what about the holds and throws etc? This is meant mainly for WWE, but you can talk about other promotions too.

Ill Will
12-10-2007, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure what your connotation of "fake" is here. In essence, it is all for show. Wrestlers are not actually trying to hurt each other or gain an advantage in a match. It should be obvious that some moves may actually cause pain and/or physical discomfort for wrestlers, but that's all part of the show. "holds and throws" are made to look like they hurt, or else we wouldn't be watching.

JohnCenaFan28
12-10-2007, 04:56 AM
I meant like which ones actually hurt and which ones don't. I mean, are all the moves done supposed to hurt or are they done in a manner to not hurt as much as possible?

Ill Will
12-10-2007, 06:19 AM
I meant like which ones actually hurt and which ones don't. I mean, are all the moves done supposed to hurt or are they done in a manner to not hurt as much as possible?

Wrestlers are not actually trying to hurt each otherNot sure how much clearer I can make the answer. Getting hurt is part of being a pro wrestler, but it's not an objective. Just like tackling someone in football. It can lead to getting hurt, but hurting someone is not the intention (unless you're an asshole). Injuries are just part of the game.

The chest smack, for instance, does hurt. There's no denying that. It stings, it makes a loud noise, it leaves markings, etc. Fortunately, those are the things that make for a good display. You can hear the loud clapping sound. You can see the red marks on a wrestlers chest. You can see the genuine anguish in their reaction after getting smacked. The audience reacts by saying "WOOOO!!!". That is the magic of pro wrestling. The whole point of training to become a wrestler is so that you don't hurt yourself or anyone else.

JohnCenaFan28
12-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Oh, OK thanks a lot for the info.

Big Evil
12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
A lot of people say wrestling is fake, when in reality the only thing that could be determined as 'fake' is the winner. Sure, wrestling is scripted, but that doesn't mean the performances these guys put on is fake. I can tell you from personal experience that most of the moves do have a small amount of pain, or rather discomfort. At first it does hurt, but after I got used to the moves, I didn't think twice about it. Obviously there are moves that hurt like hell (Chops to the chest), but just about every other basic move that has an impact on the mat or turnbuckle or whatever is something you learn to take. The high-risk moves can hurt more than most, but if done right, then it's a walk in the park. The main difference is the moves that are for show, such as chain wrestling and punching, and the ones that are hard-hitting and shake the ring. All in all, wrestling is real to the guys that perform, and all that matters at the end of the day is that you did your job, win or lose.

JohnCenaFan28
12-11-2007, 12:31 AM
^ Thanks a lot for such an in-depth description! You really helped me out a lot!

flamesoffury
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
A lot of people say wrestling is fake, when in reality the only thing that could be determined as 'fake' is the winner. Sure, wrestling is scripted, but that doesn't mean the performances these guys put on is fake. I can tell you from personal experience that most of the moves do have a small amount of pain, or rather discomfort. At first it does hurt, but after I got used to the moves, I didn't think twice about it. Obviously there are moves that hurt like hell (Chops to the chest), but just about every other basic move that has an impact on the mat or turnbuckle or whatever is something you learn to take. The high-risk moves can hurt more than most, but if done right, then it's a walk in the park. The main difference is the moves that are for show, such as chain wrestling and punching, and the ones that are hard-hitting and shake the ring. All in all, wrestling is real to the guys that perform, and all that matters at the end of the day is that you did your job, win or lose.
Thank you, someone who finally knows the difference between fake and scripted.

As corny as this sounds, i always say wrestling is the male version of cheerleading.. think about this for a second. Wrestling is a performance. Cheerleading is a performance. Wrestling is written/practiced before the show. Cheerleading is created/practiced before the game. Sounds sad, but true.

Ill Will
12-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you, someone who finally knows the difference between fake and scripted.

As corny as this sounds, i always say wrestling is the male version of cheerleading.. think about this for a second. Wrestling is a performance. Cheerleading is a performance. Wrestling is written/practiced before the show. Cheerleading is created/practiced before the game. Sounds sad, but true.Wrestling and cheerleading are only similar in the sense that both require training to pull off stunts correctly. A cheerleading routine is a series of stunts rehearsed over and over again in an exact chronological order. This varies a great deal from pro wrestling because while they are both technically a "performance" (what isn't? This post is technically a performance), wrestling matches are not routines that are planned out in an exact chronological order. Except for the ending and high spots, wrestling is largely spontaneous.

speck22
12-11-2007, 04:50 AM
how much of a match is scripted though? is each and every move planned one move after the other?

Ill Will
12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
^Seriously, read the post right above yours.

speck22
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
^Seriously, read the post right above yours.

lol my bad,

i feel so humiliated, must have missed it, skim reading is a habit :shifty: