PDA

View Full Version : Shark Boy 24/7!?!?!?

Big Evil
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
What the hell is up with this gimmick Shark Boy is doing now!? Anyone who knows anything about wrestling knows that his new gimmick is a COMPLETE and UTTER RIP-OFF from Stone Cold Steve Austin! He even mimics Austin's voice and the way he talks! From the trash-talk down to the black vest, it is undeniable that TNA and Shark Boy are ripping off a classic icon of the WWE. They put him in a storyline where he's hurt and at 'low-tide', then bring him back all-of-a-sudden as this ripoff. Frankly, I'm pissed off at this. TNA has brass balls to pull such a stunt, and I can only hope that WWE does something to shut this horrid attempt to get ratings down. Just who in the hell do they think they are!?

Bad Boy
01-29-2008, 09:11 AM
lol, SUE TNA :P

5be92
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
while tna had some good ideas in the past, but to me this is by far the worst thing i have ever seen..next thing you know someone might be trying to appear as the rock.... i wonder who's responsible for this gimmick

Big Evil
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Well there has always been a little more freedom for the wrestlers in how their gimmicks turn out, so Sharkboy may have had a part in it's creation, but I wouldn't put it past management to rip off ideas to get ratings/

Pepsi Plunge
01-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Listen, WWE has taken shots at TNA before and RECENTLY and I know maybe TNA has taken shots at WWE before but maybe this is a way of taking a shot at WWE. I actually love this "Stone Cold" Shark Boy gimmick...he should start doing WHAT? next lol. The good thing about this new gimmick is that he actually does talk like Austin and people that say "hey that's Austin dressed up" you're just plain stupid. Yeah Austin is a good icon and its not actually putting him down...jeez I hate all you WWE marks cause when WWE takes a shot at TNA, doesn't that put TNA down? It's just TNA getting back at WWE. He also keeps up his Shark Boy gimmick by drinking fish water instead of beer plus that segment with his fake "family" matched his gimmick even with Eric Young coming into it.

Dr. Fishman: Shark Boy, do you have something that you want to say?

Sharky: Why hell yeah, stick that thermometer up my ass again and there's gonna be hell to pay cause that's the bottom LINNNNEEEEEEE cause Shark Boy says so :lmao:

And also another thing, he isn't COMPLETELY copying Austin (fishwater, instead of sticking up fingers he does his original Shark Boy taunt, isnt dressing up like Austin etc.)

Plus I love the way TNA is giving him a push now rather than a jobber that gets beat up every week. He's even named on the top stars of TNA in their videos on youtube now. TNA has come up with something brilliant and whoever came up with it I thank them cause it is really good and funny.

No offense Bad Boy you're stupid, even if it is a joke or not, you can't sue TNA for that...it's only a parody.

Melanie
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
RVD101... i am whole heartily in agreeance with you! I love the "new" Sharkboy! While i've never been a huge Austin fan i love this! Instead of the "what?" thing he should do someone else...ala the rock, bret hart, hogan, razor ramon, i think it would be funny if his personality changes over time. Like he is schitzo, or multiple personality.

And that's the fishing liiiiiinnnne..cuz SharkBoy said so!

LMAO
Mel

Bad Boy
01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
thx for ur dumb comment about me Luke... but anyways, i agree that although he is no Austin... it's entertaining... well, thats what Shark Boy is in TNA for... he cant wrestle, so he's trying to be an entertainer...

Pepsi Plunge
01-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry bout the comment Bad Boy...just typed it wrongly :sad:

Big Evil
01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
So your going and calling me a WWE mark when you CLEARLY are marking out for TNA!? If you think it's right for TNA to completely rip off a WWE icon, then you aren't really a fan at all. Maybe it's just me, having wrestled myself, but you don't go and rip off other wrestlers gimmicks. If anything, it's a respect thing, and in that case I'd say TNA has no respect for what WWE has done for the wrestling industry. Sharkboy can try and entertain the fans some other way, not using someone else's gimmick because he isn't capable of coming up with his own.... wait, he did! He's Sharkboy, after all! Stick with your own stuff, cuz all he is doing now is disrespecting the WWE and Steve Austin.

deadmanwalkin
01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Listen, WWE has taken shots at TNA before and RECENTLY and I know maybe TNA has taken shots at WWE before but maybe this is a way of taking a shot at WWE. I actually love this "Stone Cold" Shark Boy gimmick...he should start doing WHAT? next lol. The good thing about this new gimmick is that he actually does talk like Austin and people that say "hey that's Austin dressed up" you're just plain stupid. Yeah Austin is a good icon and its not actually putting him down...jeez I hate all you WWE marks cause when WWE takes a shot at TNA, doesn't that put TNA down? It's just TNA getting back at WWE. He also keeps up his Shark Boy gimmick by drinking fish water instead of beer plus that segment with his fake "family" matched his gimmick even with Eric Young coming into it.

Dr. Fishman: Shark Boy, do you have something that you want to say?

Sharky: Why hell yeah, stick that thermometer up my ass again and there's gonna be hell to pay cause that's the bottom LINNNNEEEEEEE cause Shark Boy says so :lmao:

And also another thing, he isn't COMPLETELY copying Austin (fishwater, instead of sticking up fingers he does his original Shark Boy taunt, isnt dressing up like Austin etc.)

Plus I love the way TNA is giving him a push now rather than a jobber that gets beat up every week. He's even named on the top stars of TNA in their videos on youtube now. TNA has come up with something brilliant and whoever came up with it I thank them cause it is really good and funny.

No offense Bad Boy you're stupid, even if it is a joke or not, you can't sue TNA for that...it's only a parody.

no they shouldnt have him saying "What?" they should have him say something like "Huuh?" or something to that extent i think that would be even funnier i think

legolas4792
01-30-2008, 12:38 AM
who cares i personally like the gimmick and everything big evil says is the point it is a blatant parody which they can do legally so thats basically it

flamesoffury
01-30-2008, 12:43 AM
i just think its a waste of a gimmick and time. It's silly to parody austin to that extent where you're just changing 1 word.

Big Evil
01-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Your right Lego, it is a parody of sorts. I'm not saying it is illegal, but I do think it is in bad taste. If Sharkboy had any respect for Steve Austin, he wouldn't try to make his career off of Austin's character. Besides, it is a waste of time for Sharkboy to steal another gimmick when he should be focusing on making his own better. Why turn to rip off Austin when he should be blaming himself for whatever problems he had with his character?

Flair Country
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not a huge fan of it really. He doesn't even really sound like Stone Cold that much when he's talking live. They seem to be able to tweak his voice a bit in editing but overall it's nowhere near as good as Jay Lethal's Macho Man gimmick, and that's what everyone is going to be comparing it to.

SharkGraphics
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Your right Lego, it is a parody of sorts. I'm not saying it is illegal, but I do think it is in bad taste. If Sharkboy had any respect for Steve Austin, he wouldn't try to make his career off of Austin's character. Besides, it is a waste of time for Sharkboy to steal another gimmick when he should be focusing on making his own better. Why turn to rip off Austin when he should be blaming himself for whatever problems he had with his character?
You're acting as if WWE has never stolen a gimmick themselves before. Do you EVER remember back in the late 90s when they decided to play off the Goldberg gimmick from WCW with cruiserweight Duane Gill, AKA Gillberg. Hmmmmmmmm

So what if a gimmick is "stolen" or closely related to other wrestlers, its all meant for the same aspect--entertainment of the fans. Since TNA knows they have a fan favorite in Shark Boy (similar to Eric Young), why not repackage him and give him a push? Seems like a good idea to me and I'm sure TNA knows what they are doing.

Pepsi Plunge
01-30-2008, 06:13 PM
So your going and calling me a WWE mark when you CLEARLY are marking out for TNA!? If you think it's right for TNA to completely rip off a WWE icon, then you aren't really a fan at all. Maybe it's just me, having wrestled myself, but you don't go and rip off other wrestlers gimmicks. If anything, it's a respect thing, and in that case I'd say TNA has no respect for what WWE has done for the wrestling industry. Sharkboy can try and entertain the fans some other way, not using someone else's gimmick because he isn't capable of coming up with his own.... wait, he did! He's Sharkboy, after all! Stick with your own stuff, cuz all he is doing now is disrespecting the WWE and Steve Austin.

NO! I'm not TNA mark cause I watch and give my opinions on WWE too, yeah WWE made wrestling industry but were you saying "WCW has no respect for what WWE has done for the wrestling industry" during the Monday Night Wars?

btw *Shark Boy

Anyways...don't WWE disrespect TNA sometimes plus TNA probably wants to go to war with them someday...I mean...who wouldn't and didn't Austin parody guys like Hogan in the old ECW days...after all...Hogan was a legend too?

The Yiz
01-30-2008, 07:54 PM
If you look at The Professors Position column, it explains all. Btw, its a great gimmick, and I hope he gets a push out of it, because he's been jobbing the whole of his TNA carreer.

Last week I gave TNA a pretty good lashing for the fact that they took the Abyss/James Mitchell storyline to an area I really didn't feel they needed to. But this week I have to admit that something a lot of the internet hates... I simply love. The repackaging of Sharkboy to me, is a perfect execution of something and TNA deserves some credit for it. First, no one saw it coming. For months I heard people question why TNA was doing the Sharkboy injury angle. When it's explained, people complained that TNA was ripping WWE off.

Is this gimmick a parody of WWE's Steve Austin? I'm not so sure. Certainly it's inspired by Austin. But this isn't like Gillberg or some of the WCW gimmicks where they ripped off WWE guys. TNA is taking this in a different direction. They aren't saying, Steve Austin sucks, look our jobber is as good as him. This isn't about Austin at all. They're saying, hey look, Sharkboy is funny and he's a badass!

By no means do I think this is the greatest angle ever. In fact, I think it's inferior to Black Machismo (WHICH IS A GREAT CHARACTER) but I do think it's a good way to give Sharkboy a little push and make him a bit more entertaining. Sharkboy is one of the faces of TNA who's been there since pretty much the beginning and has always sold a lot of merchandise and had a following. TNA is amping him up a bit and making him more of a comedy character, but one now that has a tougher side that makes him more believable as a winner. Sharkboy is a jobber, but Stone Cold Sharkboy is a legitimate midcard contender.

You don't have to agree with me. I don't care. I enjoy Sharkboy and I'm not afraid to admit it. And that's the FISHING line... Cause Sharkboy said so!

Big Evil
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
While I agree that many wrestlers have copied a gimmick in the past, even blatant ones like Gillberg, I just don't think it's right in this day and age to try and push a guy by giving him the gimmick that wrestling fans all know of as 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin. I think that creative could go much farther by inventing a new aspect of the Sharkboy gimmick rather than try and reinvent him as 'Stone Cold' Sharkboy. Maybe it's just me, but I want to see some originality in the product, not the same old crap every time. Sharkboy is a original gimmick, but if you want to make him a badass, have him get fed up and start kicking ass! You don't have to copy Austin to get the effect you want.

Melanie
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
am i missing something like someone said before with jay lethal's macho man thing isnt that a rip off as well? i never saw anyone complain about that.

Mel

Big Evil
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
No, that is a tribute to the Macho Man, Randy Savage. Supposedly Lethal and Savage got in touch, and Savage thought it was a nice gesture. That's besides the point, it's one thing to have the approval of the man, and to take the character and make it your own. All Sharkboy is doing is taking Austin's personality and his antics and pasting that over his character. That's not very flattering, and it certainly doesn't show much effort on TNA's part to have a creative approach to pushing a guy on their roster.

Pepsi Plunge
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Didn't Austin disrespect a legend like Hogan then in old days of ECW?

Like after all "should've stuck to his own gimmick"?

)85(
02-01-2008, 04:05 AM
I think Sharkboy is related to BG James. He sounds alot like him. maybe it's just me. i personally like what;s going on.

:kemo: the first time he spoke a few weeks ago. his movement might seem slow....but it's funny. :haha: He's thr below average american hero. :kemo:

Big Evil
02-01-2008, 05:54 AM
You guys are missing the point entirely... TNA and Sharkboy have blatantly ripped off Steve Austin's gimmick because they lack the creative ability to find a way to push Sharkboy. They think they can rip him off, the WWE off, and the fans who support them. If you aren't good enough to come up with a gimmick twist, a good heel/face turn, then you shouldn't be in the business. All I've seen with TNA as of late is the same old boring feuds being developed, the same old stuff that's already played out many times before. Come up with new crap or get out of the game, I'm sick of the same crap, and ripping off of others gimmicks to get one of your guys over.

aoessand
02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
wow, so i finally watch tna for the first time in 2 months and i see this total stone cold rip off... i mean wow TNA needs to come with sumthing original god this is really pathetic

Big Evil
02-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Finally someone who agrees!

)85(
02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
TNA isn't bad. The Dudleyz are doing good with Johnny Devine. Lovin Booker T and Rhodes feudI guess I'm the only one that doesn't have a problem with TNA with just about everything they're doing. I love humor. TNA has a lot of humor. Shark boy is humor embodied. I AJ being pissed off and embarrassed. about putting on costumes last year. Awesome Kong. sorry she does it very well. with he chicken and her eyes. :kemo: I'm a TNA mark because they have Humor and in abundance. i think of TNA as the saterday night live version of wrestling with good wrestling and with a side order of respected, bully, and angry gimmicks. I watch TNA for the wrestling and the humor. The humor is what drives mw to watch TNA besides the dudleyz being bullies. i love that part. It's like reliving WCW vs the NWO over again. This time. The Faces have more numbers but they are smaller in size compared to the dudlezys.

Big Evil
02-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not saying TNA isn't doing the majority of things right,I'm saying that in order to be successful, you don't need to rip off gimmicks. In order to push your wrestlers, you need to be original and come up with new ideas to push them with. If I was a wrestling writer, I could never suggest copying another wrestlers gimmick down to the letter in order to push one of our own. It's disrespectful, and not to mention uncreative. How easy is it to copy gimmicks? You already have the template, so the the only way I see this happening is a lack of effort on TNA's part. I just hope they don't do this anymore, and that this Sharkboy crap doesn't play out very long.

SharkGraphics
02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
You guys are missing the point entirely... TNA and Sharkboy have blatantly ripped off Steve Austin's gimmick because they lack the creative ability to find a way to push Sharkboy. They think they can rip him off, the WWE off, and the fans who support them. If you aren't good enough to come up with a gimmick twist, a good heel/face turn, then you shouldn't be in the business. All I've seen with TNA as of late is the same old boring feuds being developed, the same old stuff that's already played out many times before. Come up with new crap or get out of the game, I'm sick of the same crap, and ripping off of others gimmicks to get one of your guys over.
Well bud, the road goes both ways here. As much as you hate the Shark Boy situation, you could say WWF/WWE had zero creative ability when they did their Gillberg gimmick back in the 90s (like I stated before). Lets just take your same statement from above and instead insert your manlove for the WWE in it:

You guys are missing the point entirely... WWF and Duane Gill have blatantly ripped off Goldberg's gimmick because they lack the creative ability to find a way to push Duane Gill. They think they can rip him off, the WCW off, and the fans who support them. If you aren't good enough to come up with a gimmick twist, a good heel/face turn, then you shouldn't be in the business. All I've seen with WWF as of late is the same old boring feuds being developed, the same old stuff that's already played out many times before. Come up with new crap or get out of the game, I'm sick of the same crap, and ripping off of others gimmicks to get one of your guys over.

All I've seen with TNA as of late is the same old boring feuds being developed, the same old stuff that's already played out many times before.
And isn't this what pro wrestling is all about? Putting a face and heel together for a lengthened series of matches with one taking the upper hand in the next event? Or I am totally out of the loop on how wrestling is run these days? I'm very sad the good ol days of professional wrestling are over with, the days where guys actually came out to wrestle, not talk on a microphone for 3 hours, set up some stupid skit, and then not wrestle.

youngi01
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I think that the gimmick is quite funny

jt1
02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
tna thinks people care about their top jobber. to me its a waste of air time for a up and comer.

Big Evil
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
It is a waste of time, especially if they aren't going to let him go anywhere anyways. That remains to be seen, tho

Melanie
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Other than seeing Shelly, one of my few highlights while watching tna is the "new" sharkboy... and in all honesty, who knows if he or someone within tna hasnt contacted austin about it? Has austin come out and disapproved of it?

as far as pushing someone with no creativity behind, why on earth did they bring back curryman? I really hate that more than anything on tna.

Mel

Big Evil
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Well that's just more bad decisions for them... and your right, we don't know if Austin has approved or disapproved of it, that's up in the air. But I don't think TNA would concern themselves with such a thing as his approval.

gator
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
shark boy is funny and the crowd loves him plus he big with kids and it is funny as
hell

Big Evil
02-03-2008, 04:24 AM
I agree that the guy is funny, but he doesn't need to rip off someone else's gimmick in order to get over. They need to focus on what they can do within their own characters in order to change things up and generate some heat (the good kind) for their careers.

Budweizer38
02-03-2008, 06:36 AM
i thinks its freakin hilarious. i hope tna continues with it for a few more weeks.
its cool just as long as they dont drag it out for more than a few more weeks.
it will get old and stale, i hope it dont get to that point though.
funny stuff at this time though. lmao

gml
03-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I agree totaly with Big Evil.I also saw some moron doing a very poor imitation of Macho Man.If tna can do nothing but rip off wwe characters ,to go along with their below average product ,then I have watched my first and last tna programme

JohnCenaFan28
03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
He's very funny and Stone Cold said he didn't mind it. Personally, if it's helping Shark Boy get some attention then people shouldn't be complaining because he's getting a push...