PDA

View Full Version : Knockouts Met By Adoring Devotees; Support Tragedy-stricken Family

Black Widow
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
By Vincent Man
Courtesy Of The Timmins Daily Press

Three professional wrestlers visited Timmins Saturday and held back from grappling, yet they still got a hold on their fans.

Total Nonstop Action Knockouts Gail Kim, Traci Brooks and Christy Hemme made the trip to the City with the Heart of Gold to add even more shine. The wrestlers participated in a meet and greet at the Timmins Public Library to raise funds for the Kingsbury family, a single-mother household which has been devastated with its mother diagnosed with breast cancer.

When the trio of female stars were approached by Blood Sweat and Ears and Collector’s Corner, the organizers of the meet and greet, to appear at the fundraiser and meet eager followers, they were quick to tag up, Brooks said.

“If it wasn’t for these guys, we wouldn’t be here,” Brooks said. “If it takes us two hours out of our days like this to help someone it’s the best thing in the world to do.”

“They’re the reason why we have a job, so of course we’re going to give back any opportunity we have,” Kim said.

While professional wrestlers are often portrayed as egomaniacs, the TNA beauties displayed nothing but selflessness as they embraced fans, posed for photos and candidly answered questions about their recent triumphs and personal lives.

“We’re on TV, but for them to actually talk to us, it’s a special feeling for them and us too,” Brooks said. “We get to ask fans what they like and what they don’t like, what they want to see more of.

The trip to Timmins was the fourth for Brooks, who greeted familiar faces as old friends.

“I think it makes them feel important in that somehow they had an impact on my life,” she said. “For me to actually remember them is a cool thing for them.”

In contrast, Hemme was in Timmins for the first time, but said she was enjoying it as much as Brooks and Kim, who was last in town for a BSE match in March 2007.

“It’s cold and it’s beautiful,” Hemme said.

“The fans were amazing. They don’t get to see us too often here so it was nice to come out and have them appreciate us coming up here.” Hemme broke into the wrestling business having won World Wrestling Entertainment’s Diva Search in 2004 and followed that up with an appearance in Playboy before moving over to TNA.

Aside from her wrestling duties, Hemme also manages a tag team of Lance Hoyt and Jimmy Rave. They’re the rock stars of the TNA, she said.

Brooks recently ended her tenure as Robert Roode’s manager. Rather than continuing to manage wrestlers, she said she will focus her strength on becoming the TNA Knockouts champion.

Kim, the most accomplished wrestler of the three women, became the first-ever Knockouts champion in 2007, but recently lost the title to Awesome Kong. She is awaiting a title match in the near future.

The new Knockouts division is something the trio has been proud to build, Kim said.

“I think we’ve already put (women’s wrestling) over the top with our division right now.

“When I came into the company, (Brooks) was the only girl, her and SoCal Val. They said ‘be patient, be patient.’ So for us to build a legitimate women’s division overnight, that’s pretty unheard of. I can honestly say that from the reaction of the fans and the boys, that we made something happen you thought could never happen on paper, but it did happen.

“We’re going to continue doing this and hopefully this gets the competition to do it, which just keep women’s wrestling going.”

BSE has not had a show in Timmins since November, but there are plans to bring another event soon, which would include TNA talent.

“Look for us at the next BSE North show,” Brooks announced to fans at the meet and greet.

A chorus of cheers followed.

In another meet and greet presented by Collector’s Corner and BSE, TNA superstars Samoa Joe and AJ Styles will visit Timmins on Feb. 16. That event will benefit local cancer patient Ryan Reid and the local branch of Special Olympics. Tickets are available for $20 at Nikki’s Sports Gallery and Bigguy’s Sportswear & Jerseys.

source: tnawrestling.com

JohnCenaFan28
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I wish I could have met Ms Brooks:sad2: