PDA

View Full Version : Free NIN album offer crashes site

OMEN
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/706537.jpg
FREE STUFF: Trent Reznor has released a new Nine Inch Nails album exclusively on the internet
A new album offered for free download by rock act Nine Inch Nails was so popular it crashed the band's official website.
The first nine tracks from the album, called Ghosts I-IV , were released for free download on the website www.nin.com today. The full 36-track album costs $5 to download, and various package deals are available at higher prices.

Frontman Trent Reznor said demand was "overwhelming".

"We thought we were ready," Reznor posted on the website.

"We've been adding more servers to accommodate the unexpected demand and we expect to be running smoothly in the next few hours."

Reznor encouraged fans to return to the website later on, when demand had diminished.

Ghosts I-IV is an instrumental collection Reznor recorded late last year over 10 weeks with producers Atticus Ross, Alan Moulder, Alessandro Cortini, Adrian Belew, Brian Viglione and Rob Sheridan.

Reznor called the album an "experiment" and said it was a "soundtrack for daydreams".

"I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it without interference."

Reznor let fans listen to Nine Inch Nail's last album, Year Zero, on the band's website before its official release, and he recorded and released an album with rapper Saul Williams - called The Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust - over the internet for a $5 download fee.

British rock act Radiohead released their last album, In Rainbows, over the internet.

A CD version of Ghosts I-IV will be released on April 14.

Reuters