PDA

View Full Version : Canadian wins one million dollars in hockey contest

OMEN
03-05-2008, 11:39 AM
OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian sawmill worker won one million dollars (Canadian, US) overnight by scoring 15 goals within 24 seconds in a National Hockey League contest, local media said Thursday.
Darwin Head, 35, of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan in western Canada, fired 15 out of 20 pucks from the far blue line at the Vancouver arena into an empty net during intermission before a sold out crowd of 18,630 and a national television audience for the Vancouver Canucks-Colorado Avalanche game.

"It's a little hard to comprehend," he told broadcaster CTV Thursday morning.

Head was chosen from 8.6 million entries to participate in the promotion.

He said he had practiced for two hours every night in his backyard in bone-chilling weather for the event, and was coached by hockey icon Bobby Orr.

Head is only the second Canadian to win a million dollar sports skills contest.

In 2006, an Ontario native kicked a 50-yard field goal during halftime at a Canadian Football League game to win one million dollars.

Seven new millionaires in the United States also won such contests at National Football League, National Collegiate Athletic Association football, National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball matches.

Head told CTV he planned to use the money to pay off his house mortgage and save for his children's future. He also planned to keep his job at the sawmill, he said.

AFP

Stamkos
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow, I'm sorry, but this is old. This happened last Saturday. Lol.

I was glad he won it though. I watched it live and when he scored the final goal I jumped like my favourite team won the Stanley Cup or something. Quite a site to see.

JohnCenaFan28
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
That's interesting, thanks for this.

BTW Stamkos, here's not for recent stuff, just things that don't fit in anywhere else.