PDA

View Full Version : Stone Cold Steve visits Ricky Hatton

Black Widow
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Ricky Hatton took a leaf out of Floyd Mayweather's book yesterday when getting to grips with the world of WWE.
The Hitman was visited by wrestling legend Stone Cold Steve Austin at his Denton training base, ahead of his homecoming at the City of Manchester Stadium in May.

But Hyde-based Hatton insists he is not going to follow in Mayweather's footsteps by making a move into wrestling.

Mayweather, who inflicted Hatton's first defeat when the two met in December, is taking on WWE superstar Big Show at Wrestlemania 24 in a fight worth $20million. While Hatton admits he is a long-time wrestling fan, he says he will stick to boxing.

"The thought of me fighting someone 7ft tall and about 400lbs heavier I'd rather Floyd than me," he said. "If he wants a tag team partner, don `t come looking for me.

"He might have had a rough idea of the weight difference if he fought me out of training. Fair play to him (ndash) the one thing about Floyd, he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world, and he's very quick. If I was getting $20m they could wring my neck."

Hatton has been overwhelmed by the sale of 45,000 tickets being sold within hours.

"I don't think I've known anyone in British boxing history who's had a following like that."

lep.co.uk

Black Widow
03-18-2008, 06:10 PM
BRITISH boxing superstar Ricky Hatton has passed on his tips to another legend of the ring, wrestling great Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Steve visited the Manchester gym Ricky trains at to present the multi-time champion with WWE tag team title belts for him and his eight-year-old son Campbell.

And he told Ricky: “I’ve started taking some boxing lessons in Los Angeles. I’m trying to learn the skills. I grew up in Texas and we didn’t have any kind of individualised training like this.

“But my jab is real weak and this arm doesn’t straighten out, because of wrestling injuries, so I haven’t got a whole lot of reach.”

The Hitman then confessed: “I have the same problem. My elbows don’t go out straight. That’s why in my way of fighting everything is really a hook.

“I can throw straight, but for some reason my arms just don’t quite go out. So I’m going to physio and having them slowly but surely stretched to try and get that little bit extra.

“But that’s why I’ve done all this hooking over the years.”

Austin admitted: “I’m thinking of adopting your style there.”

'Rather Floyd than me'

Ricky’s last boxing match was a December defeat at the hands of Floyd Mayweather, his only loss in 44 professional fights.

Surprisingly Mayweather’s next contest is not for the WBC welterweight title he retained that night, but against 7 foot grappling giant Big Show at WrestleMania 24 on March 30 for a multi-million pound payday.

Sources in the boxing world say that Ricky was also offered a big money deal to perform at wrestling’s SuperBowl, but he told The Sun: “I’m not tempted.

“The thought of fighting someone 7ft tall and over 400lb - well rather Floyd than me.

”Although he might have got a rough idea of that weight difference if he fought me when I was out of training!

“But fair play to him. Floyd is the best pound for pound fighter in the world and very quick. Big Show may have a massive height and weight advantage, but he’s got to catch him first.

“I think it’s a good move for Floyd. He is a bubbly character, with lots of charisma, who is never short of things to say.

“He’ll fit right in with the wrestling.”

Austin added: “I’ve been following the boxing game, in all weight classes, for a long time.

“I’m a big fan of Ricky’s and it was a pleasure to meet him today.

“I watched all the build-up, and behind the scenes stuff, on the Mayweather fight so I got an idea of what he would be like.

“And he was just like on TV – down to earth, hard-working and a real man’s man.

“As for Mayweather, for my liking he runs his mouth too much.

“I made a lot of money by running my mouth, but I think he’s a little too cocky and arrogant.

“When Ricky fought Mayweather on PPV I bought it - and I was cheering for Ricky all the way.”

thesun.co.uk

JohnCenaFan28
03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for this.