PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreak Kid plenty of heart for Nature Boy

Black Widow
03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
BY SCOTT FISHMAN
Miami Herald Writer

An exciting night in Kansas City -- which was always the case when Ric Flair wrestled -- a 19-year-old Shawn Michaels had just witnessed the Nature Boy in another classic.

The youngster ran into his idol in the dressing room but only mustered enough courage for a simple hello. Later, Michaels saw the legend again at Diana's, a bar outside of the Howard Johnson Hotel.

''I said, `I think you are the greatest wrestler ever,''' said Michaels, who is preparing to meet Flair during WWE's WrestleMania 24 at 7 p.m. EST Sunday, March 30 from the Citrus Bowl in Orlando in what could be the Nature Boy's curtain call.

'He said, `Thank you very much.' He bought me a beer, and I never paid for a beer the rest of the night. That was my first run-in with the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Needless to say, I was enamored with him before that day and have been ever since.''

With Michaels' in-ring ability paired with his confidence and charisma, it's easy to see who the Heartbreak Kid admired, since age 16. He grew up in Texas wanting to be a champion like his boyhood hero.

Now, Michaels, 42, is a legend in his own right. Much like Flair, the showstopper is someone respected in the industry and someone who fans and talent embrace.

One of those fans is WWE talent Jeff Hardy -- a high-flying fan favorite who is currently serving a 60-day suspension for violating World Wrestling Entertainment's Wellness Policy. Hardy is trying to regroup after losing his home and dog in a fire.

''Jeff's a quiet kid,'' said Michaels, who wrestled with his own troubles years ago. ``I found out the news like everybody else did.

``For me, a lot of guys don't want to go the direction I went. For me, it was the Lord Jesus Christ. It was one step. It comes down to just trying to appeal to his way of life, living the life of truth. That takes submission and humility. Each person comes to that place or fork in the road at different times. I hope Jeff is there and comes through this.''

Another superstar who watched Michaels before entering the profession was the outspoken Mr. Kennedy. The two superstars had a rivalry dating to the night after last year's Survivor Series in Miami.

''I think we had to get used to each other,'' said Michaels. ``Ken has a different style, so there were adjustments for him to make and adjustments for me to make. That is pretty common when you get in there with new guys who you haven't been in there with. We tried to do a little something different, which is a little more mat wrestling.

``It's something I enjoy doing now and then, because I don't always have that opportunity. Ken was a guy I was able to do that with, so it was a fun experience for me. I think Ken brings great intensity to the ring, and I think he has great potential. I think his future is as bright as anybody. I would imagine it would be a matter of him getting out there, doing more and push the envelope.''

In matches with Randy Orton and Kennedy, Michaels incorporated submission wrestling to compliment his trademark high-flying, fast paced style. To improve his mat game, the Heartbreak Kid worked with technicians Jamie Noble, Fit Finlay and Steven Regal.

''I think from a company standpoint there was some suggestion made about trying to bring a little more to the forefront,'' said Michaels. ``I always try to experiment with new stuff, especially if a lot of folks aren't doing it. I like to take the opportunity to be one of the first guys to go out there and try it to see if it works.

``For me, after 23 years of wrestling, I just enjoy learning new stuff. I think sometimes you get yourself in a rut. I know I certainly can. So, for me, it was just the idea of adding another dimension to my matches. I can't say it was done for any strategic reasons other than just to try something new.''

Michaels may bring his submission moves when he meets Flair at WrestleMania 24 on Sunday, March 30 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. The two faced each other a handful of times including a bout during the Nature Boy's first stint in WWE in 1992 and at a Bad Blood pay-per-view in 2003.

Last year, Mr. Vince McMahon made the edict that the next match Flair lost is his last. The 16-time heavyweight champ handpicked Michaels to be his opponent at Mania. It will be the night after Flair is immortalized with his induction in the WWE Hall of Fame.

''I'm truly honored and humbled,'' said Michaels. ``I want to do for him the best that I can. I never really second guessed myself before. I always deal with a certain amount of nerves before a big show like WrestleMania, but this one has all together taken off on a whole new meaning for me because there is a very emotional aspect for me. It seems when this business is very callous and very rough, where nobody wants to talk about real issues or matters of the heart. This one for me is really a matter of the heart.

``I want to honor him the best way I can, and that's to give him the best match he has ever had. I know that's what he wants, and I know that's why he picked me. I take this very seriously. The idea of not doing that will hurt me greatly. That's something I don't want to face. The idea of him being gone and the business without Ric Flair are something I'm going to have a real hard time adjusting to.''

Taking into account his rivalries with Bret Hart and good friend Triple H, this match with Flair hits especially close to home.

''I know, for a lot of people, they never want to put any emotion or realism even remotely human in our industry,'' said Michaels, ``but sometimes there is, and in this case, it's a man who really inspired me. He's one of the biggest things this industry has ever seen. It's arguably his last match.''

WrestleMania is known for changing the face of sports entertainment. In 1998, the Stone Cold era changed the course of the business when Steve Austin defeated Michaels at WrestleMania 14 in Boston. Over the years John Cena and Batista have devised a different era in WWE.

After WrestleMania 24, what's next?

''I sort of nowadays go where the wind blows,'' said Michaels. ``I suppose I say that, because when you've seen so many eras come and go, you're not awestruck by them. For me, I go back to if this is Ric Flair's last match, that is the end of an era. With all due respect to everyone else in the industry, it's an era I'm a part of. If the Ric Flair era is over, it will question if I want to be part of what the next era is.''

• In what could be Ric Flair's final match, the Nature Boy battles Shawn Michaels during WWE's WrestleMania 24 beginning 7 p.m. EST Sunday, March 30 on pay-per-view from the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

Randy Orton puts the WWE title on the line against John Cena and Triple H. The world heavyweight championship is at stake when Edge looks to end the 15-0 streak of the Undertaker.

In the highly publicized boxer versus wrestler match, the 5-8 Floyd Money Mayweather Jr. goes against the 7-0 Big Show. The money in the bank ladder match showcases WWE's biggest and brightest when CM Punk, Montel Vontavious Porter, John Morrison, Mr. Kennedy, Intercontinental champ Chris Jericho and Carlito fight for a future opportunity at one of the brand's heavyweight championships.

It's Bunnymania when Playboy cover girls Candice Michelle and Maria battle women's champ the Glamazon Beth Phoenix and Melina in a lumberjill match. Snoop Dogg serves as the master of ceremonies for the bout.

It's brand warfare when SmackDown! animal Batista meets Raw's Umaga. In a Belfast brawl, Finlay collides with John Bradshaw Layfield. Rounding out the card is a 24-man battle royal for a shot at WWE's ECW champ Chavo Guerrero later in the show.

• The WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony is 7 p.m. EST Saturday, March 29 at The Amway Arena, 600 W Amelia St. in Orlando.

Ric Flair will be inducted by Triple H. Soulman Rocky Johnson and the late, great High Chief Peter Maivia will be enshrined by Johnson's son and Maivia's grandson, The Rock.

Eddie Graham will be inducted by Dusty Rhodes. Also, Jack and Jerry Brisco and Mae Young will be part of the Class of 2008. Business attire is requested.

Tickets ($55) are on sale. They can be purchased at the Amway Arena Box Office, all Florida Ticketmaster locations (including FYE stores) and on Ticketmaster's website. Also charge by phone at 407-839-3900.

• The WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony will air taped delay at 11 p.m. Saturday, March 29 on the USA Network.

• WrestleManiArt, a WWE art exhibition, presented by United Arts of Central Florida and Central Florida Sports Commission, is 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 26 at the City Arts Factory in downtown Orlando. Tickets ($50) are on sale at redchairproject.com.

• WWE star Chris Jericho will sign copies of his book A Lion's Tale and the new Fozzy CD release All That Remains Reloaded from 4-6 p.m. Thursday, March 27 at the Virgin Megastore at downtown Disney, 1494 Buena Vista Dr. in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. The book and CD must be purchased at the store in order to be signed. Call 407-828-0222.

• The sixth THQ Superstar Video Game Challenge is 7 p.m. Thursday, March 27 during WWE WrestleMania 24 Week at the House of Blues in Orlando.

WWE superstars and divas participate in a single-elimination video game tournament using WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 for Xbox 360. WWE's ECW star Elijah Burke won last year's competition during WrestleMania 23 Week in Detroit.

Orlando bracket:Raw: Cody Rhodes vs. Randy Orton; Carlito vs. Santino Marella. SmackDown: Finlay vs. MVP; Matt Hardy vs. Rey Mysterio. WWE's ECW: CM Punk vs. defending champ Elijah Burke; Kofi Kingston vs. Tommy Dreamer. Divas: Beth Phoenix vs. Michelle McCool; Layla vs. Ashley.

The event also features four finalists from Europe and North America who will compete for two WrestleMania floor seats.

Tickets ($15) are on sale at hob.com/tickets/eventdetail.asp?eventid=51293. Also check Ticketmaster online.

• Presented by The David Maus Foundation for the benefit of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the annual WWE Bacon, Bagels & Biceps Brunch is Sunday, March 30 at the Rosen Center Hotel on International Drive in Orlando.

The Bacon, Bagels & Biceps Brunch was first presented by Donald Trump in 1988 on the morning of WrestleMania IV. For the past 20 years, it would be the jump-start to WrestleMania Sunday for WWE's enthusiastic fans.

Tickets are available at Ticketmaster online for $125. Purchases include a full brunch, exclusive WrestleMania souvenirs and interaction with a dozen WWE stars before heading to the Citrus Bowl for WrestleMania XXIV.

• WWE Monday Night Raw is 8 p.m. Monday, March 31 at the Amway Arena. Tickets are on sale at TicketMaster outlets, by phone and online. Prices range from $20-70.

• WWE SmackDown! tapings and WWE's ECW live are 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 1 at the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami. Tickets are on sale at the AAA box office, TicketMaster outlets, by phone and online. Prices range from $20-75.

• Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Ocala) will be at the Funking Conservatory on Friday, March 28 in Ocala, Fla. as athletes tryout for positions with All Japan Pro Wrestling.

Osamu Nishimura of All Japan will be scouting talent.

Stearns has expressed interest in speaking with Nishimura about pro wrestling in Japan. Nishimura will attend tryouts Friday and Saturday and is expected to return for the !BANG! TV taping on Sunday, May 4.

Leading candidates for a position with All Japan are Flyin' Ryan Air Mitchell, Johnny Magnum, Shane Chung, Elvis Sharp, Blain Rage and former Funking Conservatory women's champion Claudia Reiff.

Stearns, who called for a hearing on steroids in sports, is a recipient of Funking Conservatory Fighting Heart Award and presented a pair of wrestling shoes in recognition of his service to his community.

For training information, tryouts for All Japan Pro Wrestling and scheduling at the Funking Conservatory visit dory-funk.com or call 352-895-4658.

miamiherald.com

JohnCenaFan28
03-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the read.