PDA

View Full Version : Full Details On Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show, Match Layout

JohnCenaFan28
03-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show will be a No Holds Barred wrestling match at WrestleMania XXIV on Sunday. Mayweather has confirmed in several media appearances throughout the day that he will not be wearing boxing gloves in the match.

I was told that the match will be heavily scripted with pretty much every spot clearly planned ahead of time. As reported earlier, WWE developmental worker Matt Sydal has worked a little bit with Mayweather and Big Show on the layout of the match. Obviously with Mayweather's inexperience, WWE did not want him trying to call his own spots in the ring.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer said today that he would not be shocked if Big Show/Mayweather helped WWE do a record buy rate for WrestleMania given how the story has gotten over as a major sports story.

Source: Wrestlezone

Ill Will
03-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer said today that he would not be shocked if Big Show/Mayweather helped WWE do a record buy rate for WrestleMania given how the story has gotten over as a major sports story.

I really couldn't disagree more with Mr. Meltzer on this one. I think the buyrates might be very disappointing. Personally, I'm a boxing fan and I've seen many Mayweather fights, and without reserve, I consider him the best pound-for-pound boxer alive. I've also been a big Big Show fan since his WCW days (I liked him even when it wasn't cool to like him as far as the IWC was concerned).

So anyway, I do like both of them, and they individually know how to keep me entertained, but I really don't think this concept will work. I think the marketing is flawed from a couple perspectives. Sure WWE believes that the mainstream expsosure (btw, I think it's sad that ESPN is considered mainstream) will help to build interest and intrigue, which they obviously hope will translate to a few hundred thousand extra PPV buys, but I'm not so convinced. The casual sports fan who saw Big Show tossing Floyd on SportsCenter's top 10 might get a quick chuckle out of it, but that's not going to compel them to spend $50 on a wrestling PPV if they aren't already into it. I think it comes across too circus-like when displayed on venues such as ESPN.

Secondly, I think the match itself will be a failure. As the report in this thread states, every spot will be clearly mapped out ahead of time. This means that even if they are all pulled off right (and I'd be surprised if there aren't any botches), the match itself will still look cartoonish and contrived. And specifically if there aren't any botches that will probably mean whatever is happening isn't all that entertaining. At best, you've got someone who's never wrestled before against someone who could understandably make a mistake if he's trying to perform with someone else who is not only inexperienced, but much smaller than him. If you look back at Big Show's matches with guy's like Rey Mysterio or Benoit, there was a lot of improvisation in those matches, yet still there were mistakes. I don' think I have to compare the pro wrestling prowess of a Benoit or a Mysterio to that of Mayweather's. My honest prediction is that this "No Holds Barred" match itself has trouble written all over it, on top of it not being that interesting in the first place.

Bad Boy
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
this being a no holds barred, expect many people other than these two to get in the ring... but what i want to see is how Floyd will held his own against Big Show, cuz for Floyd it will be hard to do anything other than punching Show...

will be an interesting match nonetheless, atleast better than that battle royal, and some other matches...

Big Evil
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Even if the match itself is a total failure, I am still going to be entertained by it. Maybe it's the concept, or maybe it's the fact I get to see Show pound on a little guy. I don't know, and I don't really care. As long as I get something out of it, I'll be happy. Besides, there is much more to look forward to in the rest of Wrestlemania.