PDA

View Full Version : First U.S. Female Fighter Suspended For Steroids

Will
05-17-2008, 03:39 AM
For the first time in U.S. mixed-martial-arts history, a female fighter has tested positive for steroids.

Carina Damm, who recently defeated Sophie Bagherdai at an April 3 Fatal Femmes Fighting event, tested positive for elevated levels of Nandrolone, an anabolic steroid that develops naturally in the human body.

However, according to the California State Athletic Commission's Bill Douglas, Damm came in at 37.9 ng/mL, which far exceeded the 2 ng/mL threshold, after being tested at the Los Angeles event.

Douglas today submitted the results via email.

Damm (9-3), a four-year fight veteran who recently signed a three-fight contract with Elite Xtreme Combat, has been suspended one year (through April 2, 2009) and fined $2,500. She's the first U.S. female fighter to fail a test due to steroids, though she can request an appeal of the suspension.

The Brazilian was riding a four-fight win streak and was scheduled to next fight Debi Purcell at a June 27 ShoXC event.

I wonder if she will appeal and claim that she is innocent, since it is naturally produced in the body, even though her level is almost 20x normal.

Edgehead82593
05-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Lol, there's not really a good chance of it being there naturally if it's 20x the normal amount.

legolas4792
05-18-2008, 04:14 AM
athletes taking steroids understandable, baseball players taking steroids believable, a woman taking steroids im afraid youve lost me

wedge
05-24-2008, 03:15 PM
athletes taking steroids understandable, baseball players taking steroids believable, a woman taking steroids im afraid youve lost me

I've got to agree. I can't see why a woman would want to take steroids.