PDA

View Full Version : Former Wcw Announcer Fired By Espn For Tasteless Remarks About Cancer Patient

Black Widow
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Former WCW commentator Mark Madden was fired yesterday from his ESPN radio afternoon drive time slot due to remarks he made about Senator Edward Kennedy (D., MA). On his show last Wednesday, Madden said the following about Kennedy, who has been diagnosed with a serious form of brain cancer: "I'm very disappointed to hear that Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts is near death because of a brain tumor. I always hoped Senator Kennedy would live long enough to be assassinated. I wonder if he got a card from the Kopechnes."

The first line refers to Kennedy's brothers, President John and Robert Kennedy, both of whom were assassinated. The last line refers Mary Jo Kopechne, who drowned in 1969 following a car accident in which Kennedy was the driver. Obviously, Madden was going as low brow as he possibly could with his remarks.

The decision to fire Madden was made by ESPN, which owns the radio station. Madden had the highest rated show in his time period but was fired anyway. He had been told by management numerous times to tone down his vitriol and this was the final straw for him. It now appears if Madden wants to stay in sports broadcasting he will have to leave the Pittsburgh market. The other sports station in town is owned by ClearChannel and they are said to have no interest in Madden and his act.

PWInsider.com