PDA

View Full Version : ROH News and Notes; ROH DVD's, ROH News and More

King Venomation - X
06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I had the chance over the weekend to watch some of Ring of Honor's answer to the old NWA Great American Bash tour, "The Milestone Series", made up of events in Philadelphia, New York, Detroit, and Chicago, and if there was ever a perfect opportunity to jump on board with following the product, this is it.

I'll likely be doing reviews in the future, but there are dozens of highlights on the DVDs, including the promotion's ECW Arena debut, the phenomenal build of the ROH vs. CZW feud, Bryan Danielson & Samoa Joe vs. KENTA & Naomichi Marufuji tearing down the house in New York City, awesome old school promos from Jim Cornette, The Briscoe Brothers fulfilling their destiny as one of the best tag teams of this decade, Samoa Joe continuing to make his mark in the business, Roderick Strong performing with all of his potential in a tremendous match with Danielson that goes almost an hour, Jimmy Rave's continued excellence as the undercard heel that fans torment by throwing toilet paper at him in disgust, the emergence of Jimmy Jacobs as the annoying emo kid with one great ring entrance, BJ Whitmer finally finding his niche as the company's defender against CZW, amazing brawls involving Necro Butcher, Chris Hero, Samoa Joe, and Adam Pearce, among others, a six man tag from Philadelphia that was as good as anything ECW ever promoted during their height, Bryan Danielson laying down the exclamation point that he is the best in-ring technician who has come along in years, and much more.

There is a lot of good spread out among the events, but If there was on DVD that I would suggest you have to see right now, it's the company's two disc set "Supercard of Honor" which was promoted Wrestlemania 22 weekend in Chicago. As great as the PPV was that weekend, ROH topped it with the best match seen on American soil in 2006 - a six man tag team bout featuring Dragon Kid & Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs CIMA & Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino in a match that is so beyond anything promoted in the United States, you would think they time traveled from the future to show us what the evolution of the business will look like 50 years from now.

Having seen the match live as it happened, I am relieved after watching the DVD to see that they captured a good part of the emotion and magic that was there for the match. If you think of the best Lucha match you've ever seen, add it to the legendary Michinoku Pro six man tag at ECW Barely Legal and multiply by 1000, then you might have an idea of what you are in for. The sum of those aforementioned parts is something so magical that ROH decided to stop laying commentary on it to allow the final, extended sequences to speak for themselves.

It's a match so good, the live crowd chanted for the match to not end, to keep going, because they were so amazed. The match builds with psychology, false finishes and even designs itself to make Dragon Kid the focus and the star you remember at the end. It's brilliantly designed and only better in execution than it was in planning. It's an amazing match.

On second thought, I wouldn't even call it a match. That's disrespectful to those six talented performers. Call it a wrestling orgasm.

Yes, It's that amazing. Don't believe me? See for yourself.

For more information on ROH's DVDs, visit www.ROHWrestling.com.

ROH NEWS

For those who have asked about the angle at the end of ROH's return to Connecticut over the weekend, it's the latest storyline direction for Homicide.

WWE's Steven Richards was backstage visiting in East Windsor. The CT return drew 500 fans, although the company was happy with merchandise sales.

Prince Nana is said to be in the planning stages of opening his own gym and school in New York City.

The Generation Next name has been dropped by Austin Aries and Roderick Strong.

ROH champion Bryan Danielson vs. Colt Cabana has been added to ROH's 6/24 return to Chicago Ridge, Illinois.

AJ Styles vs. Davey Richards has been announced for ROH's Death Before Dishonor in Philadelphia on 7/15.

Credit: PWInsider.Com