PDA

View Full Version : Update On Chris Masters

dx9385
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Whether it be tearing up the WWE with his "masterlock challenge" or establishing himself on the independent scene across the world, Chris Mordetzky (better known as Chris Masters) is without a doubt an imposing force in Pro Wrestling. In WrestlingTruth.com's latest exclusive interview I sit down with Chris and pick his brains on a range of topics. Just because he's no longer with WWE doesn't mean the 25 year old's career won't become a masterpiece.

Keelan: Before we get in to the meat of the interview what are you up to right now - which Indy groups are you working with and what name have you chosen to work under since your WWE departure?

Masters: I've still gone by Chris Masters and the Masterpiece, although for TV I use Mordetzky. As far as Indys I've been everywhere - US, Japan and Europe. I'm booked solid every week. I also started working babyface and really think it comes more natural.

Keelan: The natural fit for many former WWE stars is TNA. Was or is TNA ever an option for you?

Masters: We'll see about TNA, I signed a years contract with the NWE out in Europe. I'm going to give myself a year or two because I'm enjoying my freedom. I'm 25 years old and I want to work for WWE again, I didn't reach my full potential there.

NWE, originally an Italian promotion runs around Europe and has recently come to the limelight now that Ultimate Warrior is working for them in Spain. Several former WWE stars have/do work for the company, most notably Rikishi who had a hand in the business/creative side.

Keelan: What was it like working in Japan and experiencing that culture?

Masters: That was my first match back after my elbow injury, and I wasn't ready. The match I had was only about five minutes. So I look forward to going back there, Healthy! The fans respect the hell out of wrestling, I'll tell you that.

Keelan: You got in to the business remarkably young, around 16-17 I believe, and made it to WWE in your early 20's - do you think you ever missed
out on certain things in your life an average young person might be
doing and how does WWE's grueling schedule affect a younger worker?

Masters: I have a personal life again, and I've seen friends I haven't seen in years. When you're with WWE, that's your life.

Keelan: You pretty much went straight through the development system - in hindsight do you think this has helped or hindered you and now that you have chance to work Indy dates what's that like?

Masters: I think I'm really coming into my own now. Working Indys has really helped me become a better worker. I love working baby-face. I was a heel for five years, and the good guy thing has been very educational. I'm really learning how to connect to an audience.

Keelan: Now that OVW has severed ties with WWE, looking back what was your experience like in Ohio and were there ever signs of low morale whilst
you were there?

Masters: I loved OVW. It was like college for wrestlers. We had a great group, some of the fondest memories of my life.

Keelan: What was your relationship like with Jim Cornette when he was in OVW and how would you describe him to those reading this?

Masters: Jimmy is a character plain and simple. Never a dull moment when he is around. A Little nuts and he could be a little stressful to work for.

Keelan: I once interviewed Lance Storm and he seems to like building strong relationships with his students - what was he like training with compared to other trainers? Do think the old school "beat you down until you puke," mentality is relevant in today's global business?

Masters: Lance was awesome he prepped us for WWE Television. Bill DeMott liked to beat us down, which is fine for some of the "tough enough" kids who'd never stepped in to the ring but not guys who are getting ready to get called up.

Keelan: When you got to WWE you've mentioned that Triple H and Shawn eventually took you under their wing, what would you say to those that
paint Hunter to be the Hitler of WWE and only in it for himself?

Masters: I have nothing but respect for Shawn, taker, Triple H, and all the talent I looked up to. It's a seniority thing, Vince trusts their opinions.

Keelan: What was it like working with people you may have seen on TV when you were younger like Shawn Michaels - were you star struck, or by that time was it just business?

Masters: I was a huge fan of HBK. When I found out I'd be working with him I was so excited, because even as a kid I knew this was the best in ring performer ever. But once the music stops and its crunch time, and your looking across the ring at him it's time to work. Just like anyone else.

Keelan: What was it first like meeting Vince McMahon for the first time?

Masters: He is 100% business and can also be a bit intimidating, but I've seen him get down and have fun. The trip to Iraq was very memorable. He had a few drinks and started getting guys to shoot on each other on the plane.

Keelan: Who came up with the masterpiece gimmick and how did it develop in to what we saw on TV?

Masters: TNA's Matt Morgan said it one day when we were hanging out and it stuck. Vince loved it and told me to watch Mr. Wonderful (Paul Orndorff) for ideas.

Keelan: After listening around you come across as a fun loving and funny guy, did you ever want to bring a less serious aspect to the character? How would you describe yourself as a person off camera?

Masters: Hell yeah I did but they wanted me to be this serious heel. People never got to know the real me, but hopefully all get that chance. My personality is easy going and I try not to take myself to serious. I've had some of the best matches I've ever had on the Indys because I was me and had fun. People can feel that, and connect with you easier I believe.

Keelan: Some sides of the internet like to blow things up and they like to think there's a second "clique" forming with the younger guys and Randy - would you say they are just a group of young guys having fun as opposed to anything political and who did you chill with on the road?

Masters: Just friends hanging out. I know the group you're talking about and Randy was my best friend up there.

Keelan: What are your opinions on Bob Holly and JBL, they are always reported to be extra tough on the younger talent?

Masters: Yeah, you just have to shut up and earn their respect. Bob and I are really cool now.

Keelan: Being in your great physical shape must be hard to maintain - what is a typical workout for Chris Masters and for the buffs out there, how
much do you bench?

Masters: I train four days a week, two body parts a workout, no longer then 1 hour. Just get in there and get to business, and get out. The most I've benched is about 400lbs.

Keelan: How do you counteract people that now think any wrestler with a great body is just on "steroids?"

Masters: I've seen a lot of would be wrestlers that still looked like crap while taking stuff. You have to know how to train, know how to eat, and not be
lazy. There's no magic pill to build a body.

Keelan: In the wake of the Benoit tragedy and the Signature Pharmacy scandal a few wrestlers - Booker T included claimed to have felt "hung out to dry." Do you feel there was maybe a lack of support around that time and that WWE just wanted to put out a good impression by suspending
guys - do you think you were treated fairly?

Masters: I don't know if the company had a choice. There was a lot of heat on wrestling, (referring to the massive media attention on the WWE at the time).

Keelan: If you don't mind, talk us through your departure from WWE, there seems to be some confusion surrounding your third Wellness Violation
or if there even really was one?

Masters: I was suspended on a Monday for a second violation. Then released on Wednesday. The media were giving the company a really hard time about not punishing wrestlers.

Keelan: I believe you worked with Ric Flair a few times - what was that like and what's it like seeing the Nature Boy Retire?

Masters: It was emotional. I was really happy to have the honor of working with him before he retired. We had a great match in Perth, Australia last year. It was a million dollar house, about 25 thousand and we opened the show and went for about 20-25 min. Great match, I think that was the last time working with him.

If you would like to contact Chris Masters for "serious bookings" you can drop him an email at masterpiece83@gmail.com, and his Myspace is under the
name ChrisMordetzkyofficial@myspace.

I'd like to take this time to thank Chris Masters for a great interview - and stay tuned as there are many more to come exclusively on WrestlingTruth.com!