PDA

View Full Version : Lippi thrilled by Italy return

Kenpachi Zaraki
07-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Marcello Lippi was unable to hide his delight at being back in Italy's hotseat during his official unveiling on Tuesday.

Lippi left the Azzurri coaching post two years ago following Italy's triumphant World Cup run, saying he needing a break after facing severe criticism in the wake of the 2006 Serie A match-fixing scandal.

However, after being re-appointed following Roberto Donadoni's departure he said: "I am really happy to take up again from where I left off."

He added: "That means that unfortunately things didn't go too well at Euro 2008, otherwise I would have still been at Viareggio, playing on the beach with my little grandson."

Donadoni left his position just four days after Italy crashed out of Euro 2008 at the quarter-final stage following a penalty shoot-out defeat to Spain.

Criticism in the country has been rife as Italy fans try to come to terms with the team's slump from their lofty position of world champions, but Lippi insists he does not see his time away from the bench as two years lost.

"I would never have left the national team, I did it and you know why, I did it before winning the World Cup.

"However, the past two years have not been wasted, Donadoni has brought into the squad new players, so it's not right to talk like that.

"The polls in favour of Donadoni staying in charge proves what I was saying, that is that the past two years haven't been two years lost.

"I repeat that I would never have left the Azzurri. So many proposals arrive from many different countries and also from their Federations. But not for a second did I think that a coach who has won the World Cup with their own country could then go coach another the following year."

espnstar.com

P.S. From what I gather from my sources Francesco Totti n Alessandro Nesta have also returned