PDA

View Full Version : Keeper Martyn forced to quit game

Dmac
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Keeper Martyn forced to quit game

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5319/41740274martyn2033mq.jpg

Everton goalkeeper Nigel Martyn has been forced to retire from the game because of a persistent ankle injury.

The 39-year-old former England international has been sidelined since January with a stress fracture.

Martyn, whose current deal was set to expire at the end of June, underwent a scan on Wednesday, which revealed that the bone had not healed sufficiently.

"I've loved every minute of my time at Everton and have a lot to be thankful for," he told the club's website.

"I had a follow-up CT scan to see if the crack in the bone had healed but it clearly showed no healing.

It was a decision based on being able to live a normal sort of life afterwards

Nigel Martyn

"It means I will have to have another operation to pin the bones back together."

Martyn, who would have been offered fresh terms at Goodison Park if the scan had shown a positive outcome, added: "I had to get on the phone to the manager after making the decision.

"It was a decision based on being able to live a normal sort of life afterwards - that was the primary concern because it is a nasty bone to have a problem in."

His last display for Everton came in the FA Cup fourth-round tie against Chelsea on 28 January and it was his 100th appearance for the club.

Martyn joined Everton from Leeds in September 2003 and established himself as the number one ahead of Richard Wright.

Credit - BBC Sport

Dark Drakan
06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Thats a shame he was a really good keeper.