PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldinho backs Ronaldo to shine at World Cup

bad_meetz_evil
06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
http://images.skysports.com/images/playerpics05_06/WorldCup2006/Brazil/ronaldinho_ronaldo.jpg

Ronaldinho has launched a staunch defence of Brazilian team-mate Ronaldo ahead of the start of the World Cup finals.

Ronaldo, who was top scorer at the 2002 finals in the Far East, has regularly come in for criticism regarding his fitness.

But he has an ally in Ronaldinho, who insists the Real Madrid striker is ready to be Brazil's most potent weapon in Germany.

"I feel great respect to Ronaldo for example," Ronaldinho told Czech newspaper MF Dnes.

"I am convinced that he can be Brazil's main gun.

"Ronaldo has been criticised for being overweight, but I think he could be paid more respect with regard to what he has achieved.

"There has been plenty of speculation on the topic that, if Ronaldo shined at the 2002 World Cup, that I will shine in this World Cup.

"I always reply the same way - I don't care, I only want Brazil to be world champions."

The Barcelona sorcerer, meanwhile, is ready to unveil some new tricks at the World Cup, but admits his party pieces will count for nothing if Brazil fail to retain their title.

With the European champions, Ronaldinho has shown off his full repertoire of skills, including passing to a team-mate while looking in the opposite direction.

But while Ronaldinho is aiming to wow World Cup crowds over the next month, he insists the priority is for Brazil to win a record-breaking sixth crown.

"I always think up new tricks and, if there is a possibility, I will show them in Germany," Ronaldinho added.

"But if I do none and we win the trophy, I will be very happy.

"My only goal is to be world champion with Brazil.

"In football, the main thing is always to win, but if you add a prettiness to it, it's ideal.

"What would I have if some tricks were successful and Brazil were unsuccessful?"

Ronaldinho is also widely regarded as the globe's best player and ended 2005 as both the World and European Footballer of the Year.

The mercurial playmaker has played down the widespread appreciation of his talent and feels there are many players on a par.

"No I'm not," replied Ronaldinho when it was put to him that he is the best footballer in the world.

"I have already said that there are a lot of great players all over the world.

"You can hardly compare them because every player has a different style of playing."

Credit: Sky.