PDA

View Full Version : WWE wages war in Springfield

Black Widow
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
WWE powerslams downtown Springfield on Saturday night as some of the top names in wrestling go toe-to-toe at the MassMutual Center

World Wrestling Entertainment brings superstars from its three nationally televised brands - Raw, ECW and Smackdown - to the center, including reigning ECW champion Mark Henry.

Billed by WWE as "The World's Strongest Man," Henry competed as a weightlifter in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona and four years later at the Atlanta games. The 6-foot, 4-inch, 400-pound Texan holds records for weightlifting in three categories.

Speaking by telephone en route to a match in Baton Rouge, La., Henry said he is far less imposing - outside of the ring, at least - than some might think.

"Most kids when they see me are afraid," he said. "I'm a big guy, but when I'm talking to them, they see that I'm human - not a big monster. I'm an intelligent, articulate and sensitive man - and if you print 'sensitive,' I'll come looking for you."

Henry has a legion of fans, young and old alike. Millions of viewers tune into WWE broadcasts each week, including ECW matches, which air on Tuesday nights on the SciFi Channel.

Affiliated with WWE since 1996, the 37-year-old wrestler said he has long since come to terms with fame.

"I want people to recognize me ...

"You don't run off your fans," Henry said. "There's no other brand like the WWE. We're accessible."

WWE took in more than $485 million last year with revenue generated by television, live appearances, toys and home video and music tie-ins. It was the company's most successful year in its 45-year history.

Henry attributes the success to fan involvement.

"It's interactive. It pulls at every emotion," he said. "People get to know you and they think of you as part of their family."

Henry's family, his wife and 3-year-old son, make their home in New York, though he still considers himself a Texan. His son is too young to fully understand the WWE phenomena.

"He sees the toys. His dad is an action figure," Henry said with a laugh.

But Henry is flesh and blood.

Those watching at home might not realize the physical toll of wrestling. Henry brushes off his laundry list of injuries, which include knocked-out teeth, a broken ankle and kneecap and a torn rotator cup.

"You get injured. You suck it up. It's a badge of honor to go out and finish. (WWE Chairman) Vince McMahon would not ask you to do something he wouldn't do himself."

Henry said he plans to stay with WWE for as long as his body holds out, perhaps even longer.

"I'm hoping I can do something for the company until I'm dust," he said.

Turning his attention to the present, Henry said the non-televised event at the MassMutual Center on Saturday will serve as a warm-up for the much-heralded Great American Bash in Long Island, a pay-per-view event airing the following night.

Although the card is subject to change, the matches at the MassMutual Center are expected to include:

A Raw-Smackdown tag team match pitting John Cena and Batista against Umaga and JBL. Cena is a former Springfield College linebacker.

An ECW triple-threat match with Kane, Chavo Guerrero and Shelton Benjamin.

The WWE tag team championship with Matt and Jeff Hardy taking on The Miz and John Morrison.

Other WWE superstars expected at the MassMutual Center are The Big Show, The Great Khali, CM Punk, Tommy Dreamer, Ted Dibiase and diva Kelly Kelly.

masslive.com